1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing a large distribution center

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ReddensLawnCare, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

I need some advice. I have very little experience plowing, and what I do have is with a skid. I am workin on picking up the contract for a distribution center outside of charlotte,nc. The area Is 1,800' long and 400' wide on either side of the building. There are long rows of parking next to the curb with minimal obstructions along the way. The site is essentially an rectangle building in a larger rectangle lot.
    On the two long sides, are loading bays for trucks. Around 100 bays per side. With a concrete pad extending 75' from building.

I current have a ram 2500 with a fisher straight 7.5 and tgs06 salter. There is no stacking room so a skid will be onsite to dump snow over wall down to a creek.

With my limited experience and current equipment, how long should I expect something like this to take. Please be gentle. I'm a plowing Virgin that has just messed around a little

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

I'm going to have to check my numbers. I just did some math and there is no way that is right.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It will melt by the time you get to the end.

4. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

Thank you. I have missed your comments on lawnsite

5. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Is this for real?

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

33 acres will be taxing for a dodge...but you should be ok cause its got a 7.5 blade on it.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes.it's a real lot.

8. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Does it even snow in Charlotte? Looking at your numbers that 36 acres. If you did get any amount of snow you will need way more equipment than you have. 3-4 loaders minimum with pushers.

9. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

Ok. Here is the corrected numbers on the lot. I just left the site. I knew the others were off but was going by what was provided. The the long sides are 750x180 and the short ends are 420x45. Sorry for the earlier post. All areas are wide open and it is zero tolerance for 65' out from building on the long sides. I would post a google earth pic but it is still under construction

10. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

just an idea. sub it, have 3 guys bid on it , take the middle bidder , wallah.
    thats how ferrandino started

11. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

A little more reasonable but still need at least a loader or 2 with pushers.

12. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

I have a buddy in the industry that has roughly the same set up as me and will be able to work the job as well. I have to be able to offer plowing in order to do the maintenance. There are not many options around here when it comes to subs BC it doesn't snow often and when it does it is usually the heavy wet stuff that will melt on its own within 24 hours. Would you advise that I pass with my limited experience. Thanks

13. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

If you do attempt this the only way you should do it is a seasonal contract. If you priced it per push with the little bit of snow falls you get it might not even cover the cost of your equipment.

14. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

Prices are high dine here and nobody does seasonal contracts for snow. For a .75 acre lot we get 675 to plow under 4" and 500 to salt. I think that's good money but I don't know all the costs associated with plowing yet. Everything last year was with a skid

15. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

high dine ? so is the cost.of.living.

16. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

$675. for a 3/4 acre lot.

17. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I know, I'm drooling too. But they probably get 10 inches of snow a year at most, compared to 40 plus that most of us get.

18. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

You should check out SIMA production rates. They are pretty accurate. It will help you understand how long things take. Also that price for a 3/4 acre lot just made my head explode. I find it difficult to believe that's normal even in your low snowfall area. Better check around for more rates than one guy.

19. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I didnt think it snowed in NC. I probaly wouldn't investin the snow game down there, I'd be too frustrated sitting all winter praying for a snow fall. But good luck to you.

20. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare Member

It was the other guy mentioned above and myself that serviced the properties last year. It is a national company with local owner/operators. They told us how much they would pay. I do a lot of salting only and make good money with that, but have picked up 3 medium sized accounts that have to be plowed and salted. the rule with all of my commercial maintenance accounts is when a weather advisory is issued, we salt sidewalks for insurance purposes. If it is a winter storm warning or ice storm warning we salt lots. I thought the 675 was high but they set the price. I also checked and was actually right at 44k sf including sidewalks