1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pricey Snow Shovels - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Nov 7, 2011.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Looking for some good shovels this year. I have been looking at the site sponsored "snowplow" shovels, but am just confused as what makes a plastic 30" shovel $50?

Even on ebay 24" shovels are $50

I'd like to keep the shovels around 28-30" but would consider a 24" for the right price

What are you using? I want the kind that rolls the snow off it, not a lift and throw type
  2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

shovels to me have always been a disposable thing,,, the cheapest yet still effective shovel you can find is probably the best choice. the "high end" shovels with carbide steel razor edge for pristine scraping of intergalatic moon-snow, still wear out as fast the the cheap-o deluxe. 50 bucks for a snow shovel is absurd.
  3. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

If those are the ones with yellow handles and white poly blades then yes they are worth it. We use the 36" and I think the bigger ones are 42" or 48" I cant remember.
  4. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

You have obviously never used one, they are not throw aways, going on 4 years with a couple with nothing replaced on them. If it does get worn or a part breaks you replace that part instead of replacing the entire shovel. I also grab a couple cheapies each year and they are completely junk by mid-season.

So you can buy cheapies 2-3 times EVERY year or buy one good one that will last several years.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Well said! I love the snowplow shovels, the guys love them, they're an all around great shovel for pushing. We use some cheapies for the lift and throw stuff, but 90% of the work gets done with the snowplow shovels.

The 30" are just about the perfect size, the 24" works good too. My main sidewalk crew also has a 36", they love it for the light fluffy stuff, but it gets too heavy to push if the snow is heavy. Regardless of the size you choose, they're worth every penny.

The only issue we've had is the handles breaking, they crack right at the screw that holds them on. 2 handles have been replaced at no cost by the manufacturer, the rest won't crack due to improvements I've made to them. What I've done on all of ours is pull the screw out and drill a 1/4" hole all the way through, then square off the hole on one side for a 1/4 SS carriage bolt, and put a lock nut on the other side. Last step is to grind smooth the extra length of carriage bolt sticking out of the lock nut so they don't catch on gloves or hands. So far so good, that's my only minor complaint. Thumbs Up
  6. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

I got one and wont give it up for any other shovel. well worth the money.
  7. greatdanenick

greatdanenick Junior Member

Yeah i have been there before with the cheap ones,now i have a few good ones where pricey but like others said worth the money.
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We have 1 24in and several 30 & 36's....just ordered a few more the other day infact, including 1 of the new Dominator shovels to try.
  9. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

Best shovels you can buy. They send the snow flying, nothing sticks, you can break up ice, the blade does not wear down, the shovels don't break- I promise you won't be disappointed. Buy one and done.
  10. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

We purchased a few of the Dominator style shovels as well. They just showed the other day and look to be the same quality as the "snow plows"
  11. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Best shovel made..............................period.

Buy one and you will not be disappointed, worth every penny.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  12. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

You sure are correct, I havent used one of the snowplow shovels.

I was referring to the 10 dollar home depot versus the 40 dollar home depot lol.

Maybe I'll have to look into these..
  13. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

Just buy the snow plow and you will never go back. I tried one four years ago and now have five and LOVE them.
  14. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

15. Neige

Neige Sponsor

They out last any other shovel out there by years.
  16. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I have a snowplow shovel and it is awsome and its my personal shovel. I understand what your saying because my guys loose shovels all the time. I also use the shovel dogg made by Buyers and I love those also they are nice, work good, and are cheap! The best part about them you can buy them by the pallet!!!!! They also come by the case which I think there is 6 in a case. If I had my choice it would be snowplows for every one but not in the budget. This way every one can have a shovel or two or its not a big deal when we have a shift change and the crew that is clocking out forgets to leave shovels for next crew. Check them out!
  17. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

we own 9 of "the snow plow" shovels best thing ever. have used them all and they just break. buy one or 3 the new shovels they cam out with this year are great. just got 4 in this year. our pushers are any where from 18"-30". 30" are great for light snow and the 18" are great for steps.

go order now!
  18. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Just ordered a couple 30" snowplows
  19. gbtl

gbtl Member

i like craftman ones cause you break it they give you a new one.
  20. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

If you do any snow clearing with shovels, thier really is nothing that comes close to comparing.

They are actually CHEAPER than the useless ones. Until you own some, you will not understand.