1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prices on boss snowplows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by killed300ex, May 5, 2004.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

Iv decided that when i get my next truck I am going to but a boss v plow on it i decided on the 8'2 size and dont know if ill get the polly or steel version (will end up being price dependant) I like their mounting system better than any other competetors and i like the quality. Does anyone have any greifs with their plows ? Also do anyof you know the prices on these plows with mounting i am just looking for an estamit and i looked everywere on the net and could find one. Thanks
    Evan

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

did you try looking at central parts warehouse

3. killed300ex

tahnks for the site didnt see that one when searching got exactly what i was looking for. Thanks Is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks for the polly version on this plow? And imput
    thanks
    evan

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

the advantages to a poly moldboard would be that the snow "rolls" off it better and you don't have to deal with the scratches and dings that appear on a steel moldboard. Poly basically retains a new look. IMO poly vs steal would be strictly a personal perference. As far as boss plows go: fisrst of all they are great plows, there v plow is very nice but v's are much more expensive then straight blades. There mounting system is very nice and easy however i hate their truckside mount. It hangs way too low and is ugly but thats just my opinion. As far as prices go i think a boss v installed would be around $4500 maybe iam wrong though it could be a little less. I would call some of the local boss dealers and ask them about pricing.

5. killed300ex

i could get the poly for 3878 bucks and the steel for 4070 through central parts warehouse. but then its about 180 to ship it to my door. not sure if im going to do it got all summer to decide. I am set on the v plow because i want the scoop function. lots of my driveways that i woul be plowing are very technical and only have on spot for snow so i think that it wil make it lots easier. I think i will go for the steel on though and just at the end of every season ill sand the scratchs and paint them not that much of a differance i dont think its worth the extra money
    evan

6. cja1987

Do you know how to install a plow? If you don't youll end up having to pay a professional for the install, which would add afew hundred to the price. Steel moldboards are just fine poly not really necessary. V's help you carry the snow around better but can be trickey in tight areas, otherwise youll find that the v will greatly increase productivity.

7. killed300ex

i was planin on installing it myself if at all possible. is it bolted on or welded? what else is included id amagine some wiring but thats not a problem my brother is an electrician so i think i can get the wiring.
    evan

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Use the spell check:nod:
    As far as the price goes, I looked at the same plow the other day at my local dealer. $3795.00 installed. The mount bolts on to the frame. No welding.

9. cja1987

I can understand him:nod:

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Good for you.:rolleyes:

11. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

OK, I gotta ask the question here.. Have you ever plowed before?? You're ready to dump $4k on a plow and you don't know if it's bolted or welded on?? Your brother is an electrician, I would assume residential/commercial buildings, not the same as DC voltage on a plow. Things can get burnt up pretty easily if it's not done by experienced hands.

As for the scooping ability, a straight blade with wings will do almost as well.

If this is your first rig, I'd sit down and do some thinking about it. Research is free, take a look at other plowtrucks in your area and see how they're set up.

If you've never run a plow truck, work for someone else that will train you. I did that last season and I went and bought my own truck now. Plow included.. Straight plow with welded on wings. I used a Vee plow by Fisher and didn't like it as much as the straight.

Personally, I'd buy a straight blade and with the money I saved, I'd get a black plow..

Paul

12. killed300ex

well i have plowed for a year now with a Friends truck just on his driveway and then i did one parking lot and the same driveway with a v plow and it cut the time in half. I have plowed and will be mainly doing residential driveways and i know i want the v for the time saving money sint a huge issue. IM willing to spent the extra money. And as for Hope the plow attached sry i had never climbed under the damn truck to see how it attached im sorry for not doing that call me a moron all day long i really dont care. And as for my brother being an electrician dont knock it he works for the airforce working on 15 million dollar f-15 planes so i think he can prolly wire up my truck for an electrical plow. Sry if this came out wrong but dont knock me untill you know my situation.
    evan

13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on what truck you will install it on and if it has a plow prep package. With my truck i had to drill alot of holes into the frame. roughly 1000 holes. The wiring would have been eaiser except i dont have a plow prep package. Hook up the power for the controller and the wires for the plow. It is alittle more involved than that but not much.

14. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

OK, I started out with a Vee plow and my time was cut considerably when I switched to a straight plow. I don't think it had much to do with the plow selection as it did with the experience of plowing the same parking lot and learning the trade of how to push the snow around. I think we can argue all day about which is better. As for the electrical part, if money is not an issue, have it installed professionally. My son also works on those F-15's ($30 mil BTW) and all they do is swap parts these days. The theory is there but, I wouldn't consider him an electrician by any means.

I based what I said on the information you provided to this forum.

Nobody was calling you a moron, we were all beginners at one time or another.

Best of luck..

15. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Sounds like you have already done some home work. You know the differaance between the time saved by using the V blade. The poly weighs a little more, and doesn't need any paint tuchup yearly, also snow will roll off the poly easer. Mounting is not hard if you have the basic knolage of which end of the wrench to use. There are some cheeper prices then CPW but you cant beat the service that would go with it, so the little extra is worth it. They also offer a summer savings price. As for the wireing if your brother went through basic electronics at Keesler then he can wire it blindfolded. (you just need to tell him what color wire he has in his hand LOL).
    The Boss V poly is a good plow and will last many years.

As for the spell checker who needs it if the information is passed. as you all can see I for one don't know if it is spelled right of not and don't care.

Dwan
    Dwan

16. cja1987

Plows are not too hard to wire up at all, with any kind of electrical knowlage you would breeze right through it. You need to know a little about trucks but not alot. Also plows do come with these things called installation manuels they can go a long way in helping you as well. V's will save time all plows/trucks have their strong points and weak points. Why start plowing for someone else whan you can just plow yourself, its not hard. I can see if your going into the business as a primary source of income then maybe youll want to learn a little from someone else. Lots of people like me just like to do their own thing their own way and plow just for the extra $ or just for fun believe it or not. As far as the spell check goes i have never even seen it on this site, where is it? And who cares as long as you can understand the info and help out the person asking questions. Who has time to get every single post perfect? I spend enough time getting things right for school so on plowsite i don't really care how its spelled or how i use grammar, as long as i don't sound like too much of an idiot and everyone can UNDERSTAND me nobody cares!!!