1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prices Mid-West

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mowey9, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

I have been doing alot of reading on here the last couple of weeks but I'm having a hard time trying to get a grip of prices in the mid-West. I live in Des Moines , Iowa and was just trying to come up with some ballpark numbers. Anything from laying salt, sand, and calcium to to if you charge by the hour or by the size of the lot. Also when when trying to bid a lot for salt or sand how do you go about it.Also prices per hour or lot size. I know that i depends on alot of thigs but a ballpark number would be nice for this area. I think I can judge the time that it takes to plow a lot because i plowed about 100 hrs last year but any help with the rest of the would be appreciate. Thanks for you time.
    Mowey

2. mo snowboy

mo snowboy Junior Member

pricing

Pricing is really a hard thing to come up with, not only because it seems each area is different, but so are the customers and levels of service.

I would rely on how your customers want you to price it. Do you have any customers or people in the business who would be willing to tell you what they have paid in the past?

In my area, most everything is done by the job. Pricing is really sort of trial and error, but after the first season you will have a lot better idea how long it takes to plow a parking lot and service the walks. The more you do it, the better you get.

I usually recommend you act as a sub for another more established company for a year or two. This allows you to learn from them, so to speak.

For pricing salt, we usually put down between 750 lbs and 1500 lbs per acre depending on the conditions each time we apply it. Hopefully that will help you come up with some kind of pricing.

3. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

I subbed last year for a company but I could never find out what it was that he charged for the services. I know that on his big jobs he went by the hour and on some of his little ones he went by the size of the job. I was never able to see numbers from him or from anyone that work for him. Thanks for the help so far and keep it coming if anyone else has any opinion or info.
    Mowey