1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prices for bagged ice melt/salt in mn

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by millsaps118, Nov 5, 2008.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Just wondering what some of you in MN are paying per 50lb bag. I plan on buying a whole pallet and I have been quoted anywhere from $5.50/bag rock salt to $6.55-$9.17 for ice melt with Mag, Calc chloride, ?.

I normally bought bulk salt, but today when I called my supplier the price from last year is now 3x's as much!!!!! So now I figured it would be cheaper for me to by bagged and not have to worry about it freezing up on me.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I got a pallet from Tractor Supply in Iowa. It was $5.40 a bag.

3. millsaps118

Was that for rock salt or ice melt?

4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Here (on border with MN) about $200/pallet rock salt.

5. millsaps118

Are you guys getting 49 50# bag's per pallet?

6. hydro_37

from iowa

It is called "ice away" the bag says "halite" Same stuff I used last year and it works great.
    49 bags on a pallet.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

about $4/bag here for halite

8. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Yep, 2450lb.

9. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I bought a pallet of Morton Ice Melter for 7.29 per 50lb bag.

I was also quoted: 4.29 Rock Salt
    14.95 Calcum Chloride
    9.85 Eco Safe

10. hydro_37

from iowa

What store and where?

11. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Man.....I got jacked! First year offering salting, I thought it was average. I bought 2 pallets of Ice Melt 50per skid 50lb bags for $17 per bag grand total $850. I recieved 1 pallet this week and another is coming Monday. Here is the MSDS sheet on it. I won't except the second pallet for sure.

12. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

Im not sure if there is a Fleet Farm up near ER, but if you make your way down to the Oakdale location (694 &36), you can go to the contractors order counter and ask for a contractor discount. This is the only way I have ever bought my bagged salt. I typically buy the 80lb bags (30 per pallet), because we go through it really fast and I charge per 50lbs applied anyway. Most places are hit or miss when it comes to contractor discount, usually they want you to buy at least 2 pallets, but I have also gotten discounts at Menards but never Home Depot. Discount is usually 15-20%.