1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prices all over the country should be...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The prices all over the country should be going up right? Well it seems there is less and less steady snow over the past few years, yeah we may still get roughly the same in inches but it seems to come in increments of double digits then not snow for weeks. Shouldn't this raise our prices through the roof. If it were snowing a few inches every other day I would think that would drive prices down do to consistency (kinda like a supply and demand thing), but when it doesn't snow for a couple of weeks, then when it comes it's 10"s or more the price should be tripled if not more.

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The supply and demand works more on how many contractors are out there trying to get your business. I know my customers are getting bombarded with bids.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Thats how it works.

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Your pricing structure may need to be altered to accomdate the weather pattern changes perhaps. If you get a big storm you will have to visit your customer's more times to keep them not only clear, but also so you don't get stuck trying to push 20" of snow...you should instead try to keep up with the storm and push every 5-6", charging per visit.

Alternatively there are always seasonal contracts too.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I understand everything, and we are doing well, but I was just thinking yesterday thats how things should work.

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

eventually we wont have any snow here. our 110 year ave snow fall here is 20" our 30 year ave is close to 12". also our 30 year ave winter temp has risen 5 deg.

7. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

The less work there is the hungrier everybody gets and the prices go down. Alot of guys work under the old adage " as long as I am working I must be making money". Pretty foolish idea I would say.