1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

priceing sidewalks

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by windrowsnow, Oct 28, 2010.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i did the search and still cant seem to find what im looking to much info. i am bidding an apartment complex that has 1.5 mils of walks. what is a good price to charge? if i bid per hour and use blowers it will take longer than if i bid per hour and use a skid steer or quad. any ideas on how long it will take with a skid and how long with a blower? or what about a flat rate?

2. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Are they wide enough to get a skid up on and maneuver them safely? If not you can't price them that way if so, make sure the complex is OK with skids being used on the sidewalks.

3. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

yea they are wide enough. i hve never had to bid such a large amount of walks before so im just a tad in the dark.

4. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

Are the sidewalks straight or a bunch of little ones that are splitting off. I would figure out operational costs with profit in there. If it take 1 hour with 2 guys @ $75 an hour that would be $150 per event. Personally I like my ATV for sidewalks.

5. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I'd pay very close attention to any areas that will be too tight for skidsteers or ATVs and will have to be shoveled.

When the snow is drifting and blowing off roofs, you can quickly end up with lots of spots that hold snow knee-high in a tight complex.

FWIW, I've done lots of types of snow removal, from residentials, to offices, to storage facilities, but nothing is as much of a pain as apartments. You've got cars parked or coming & going, long carries to stack snow, and miles of sidewalk.

We've gone to the 3' wide poly scrapers with D handles from Gempler's for our apartment sidewalks. For <3" or so, a guy can move quicker pushing a scraper and cleaning up around doors, etc. as he goes than an ATV. For 3+" things get are lass fun...

6. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Moat places will not allow skid loaders on their sdwks unless u running a old little one that weighs like 4k lbs.

7. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

there are wider ones up to 6 feet and regular three foot walks as well. i just dont want to bid it so much an hour and have guys shovel it or blow it and rape them then to get it done faster i put a quad on it or a 453bobcat and do it much faster thats why im stuck in the middle here