1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price to do this drive

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by SnowFakers, Dec 11, 2013.

1. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I already have this drive so I am just trying to see if I was on the money with my price. I know im making money on it so im just curious. Drive in question is the one on the left with the blue marker on the house. Just push off the end(bottom of pic) and shovel the front sidewalk and stairs, no salt, with a 2 inch trigger. Please be realistic with you prices, I want some real answers not jokes and such. Thanks in advance

Capture driveway.PNG

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

150,000 pennies for the season.

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

How did I know you'd be first GV:rolleyes:

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

$80...............

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Paved, that's nice. As long as it was close by, and I didn't have to travel for it, 60 a shot. 40 to plow, 20 to shovel.

6. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

60 including shoveling. 85 if its 8 inches or more of snow

7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

$65 with shoveling, unless it was 10 miles away from the nearest job I was doing then it would be more.

I'd offer them a sliding scale.

Tell them to talk to their neighbors, and for every one you get to clear snow for, you'll take $10 off the price. So if you get 60 of their neighbors, you do their plowing for free.....

Incentive to make good money in a cul de sac

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure about east coast pricing, hard to tell from a small picture. Here in MN I'd say about $50 to plow and $15 to shovel, so $65 total. Maybe if she is good looking an even $60 !

9. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

She is good looking, which is a plus. And I'm feeling better because I priced this at 60 for 2-6", 75 for 6-12" and 12+ Would be discussed later. It's my first year so I am just making sure I'm not too high or too low. Thanks for the responses fellas.

10. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i'm in CT too. assuming its paved and level as it appears to be, $60-$70 just plowing for a 6" or less storm - no sholving, no sand. my prices ramp up at the 6", 12", 18", etc marks.

11. GreenAcresMike

GreenAcresMike Junior Member

I do this with my lawn care clients

12. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

in theory this may make sense, but what happens in the event the customer(s) you picked up either don't like you, or you don't like them and you loose the account? then what? go back to the customer that referred you and tell them they are back to full price again? they won't be too keen on that.

all my drives are within a radius of 2 miles and i just yesterday turned someone away who is a 1/2 mile off my route as i'm accustomed to doing drives right next to one another - guess i'm spoiled in that regard. but i'd never offer discounts to anyone based on proximity. it may be a good way to try to drum up business for someone starting out or expanding, but just be aware of the risks if you and a customer part ways.

13. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

One way to deal with what linckeil said is to offer them 1,2,3 or what ever you want free plows for every customer/neighbor thats signs up for the season/year, So at end of year, you can say to orig customer here is a bill for only 3 plows insted of 5 cause 2 neighbors signed up....I dont do that, but I'm sure others could make it work.

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No discounts on plowing. Or if you insist,1 free plow in Aug.

15. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Aug. lol How do you feed yourself with such generious offers GV? Just giving away your $ ;)

16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

he's talking about plowing the wife....

I guess you don't know him that well...;)

17. Jhowemca

Jhowemca Junior Member

I price my driveways similar to you.

For a $60 driveway 3"- 6". It would be %50 of the 3"- 6" price additional for 6"- 12". Making 6"- 12" $90. $60 (base)+ $30 (%50 of base).
    For each additional increment of snow I keep adding %50 of whatever the base price is.

3"- 6" $60

6"- 12" $90

12"- 18" $120

18"- 24" $150

24"- 30" $180

18. xalexjx

xalexjx Junior Member
    from 12852

60 for plowing only up to 12". Anything over 12" or to push banks back would be by the hour with front end loader. If I was near or going by drive way in normal route, out of my way would be cost +. Thats what I would charge, I personally dont mess with shoveling.

19. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

$60-70 a shot up to 6". After that it's whatever your return visit rate is. I try to never have more than 6" of snow on anything. Harder on equipment and takes just as long to push 12" as it does to push 6" twice.

I don't really break down the shoveling VS. plowing.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Here that drive would go for 35-40 for every 6 '' of snow walks could be in it if its under 20ft