1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

price to charge for salt....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Reliable Snow and Ice, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

what is the average price that is charged for salt to be spread???

I was thinking .35 a lb was a fair charge... am I too high or too low??

2. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

That is fair l charge a little less but we use quite a bit on some large lots we make it up in volume. But if you are using on driveways and small applications i would say you are low.
    That's just my 2cents.

3. plowbum

plowbum Junior Member

I would say your a bit low. For residential I usually use 1/2 a bag or less and charge anywhere from $10-$20 average, for parking lots $40 per bag.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  4. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

well if i did my math right you at 80 cents a lb am i wrong at 50lb bag's mind you

5. plowbum

plowbum Junior Member

Id rather not go and figure out by the pound of each bag so I price per use of bag and yes 50lb bags. Example: If I use say 1/4 of the bag I will charge residential around 10-15 bucks, 1/2 bag $20 and so on.. works good for me. Hope this helps..

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Plowbum, I am not looking to start anything but do have a question for you. How many bags of saly per season do you spread on average? Do you realize that come out to 1,600 per ton. I want to move to New Jersey. I am gonna buy bulk and cut my costs in half, and retire after next season.

7. plowbum

plowbum Junior Member

The whole thing here is im not buying or selling salt by the ton, im buying bags and providing salting service, if you want to talk about bulk thats a whole other subject but im not selling bulk, I dont have the big bulk salters. What are you charging per ton?

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

700 per ton is way too high here...that's would be $3500 per load for me...i'll keep dreaming..

9. Rc2505

I spread both bulk as well as bags. I have a few customers that want bagged salt simply because they want to know exactly how much salt I put down. I pull on to the lot with an empty spreader, and I leave the lot with an empty spreader, then I leave the bags in a stainless steel box by the back door. No guess work what so ever, and I charge them $18.00 per bag. My cost per bag is $4.50 and I have to handle each bag 3 times. Once off the truck with a fork lift, and put it in the shop, once in the back of the truck, and once in the spreader. So per pound I am charging .36 cents. Now when it comes to bulk, I get between $250.00 to $300.00 depending on the customer. My cost on bulk salt is $79.00 per ton delivered. I guess my point is I am less than half what your getting, and people tell me I am high priced on my salt. I figure my time in handling each bag 3 times, plus my equipment to spread it comes out to about .18 cents per pound, and my cost on the salt comes out to .11 cents per pound which give me a profit margin of .07 cents per pound spread. I can't spread it for any less and still make a profit. Hence the reason if your getting .80 cents per pound, I want to move to New Jersey and still be able to spread the 10 to 12 skids of bagged salt, plus the 40 to 50 tons of bulk I use every year, and make the big bucks.

10. Jay brown

why is the price to the client for bulk different from bagged?

11. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

12$ per bag…

12. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Because on average bagged costs at minimum double what bulk costs--up to three times as much in small quantities.

$4/bag = $160/ton
    $5/bag = $200/ton
    $6/bag = $240/ton

bulk, $75-95/ton delivered maybe?

Just for comparison's sake.

:D

13. s&mll

s&mll Senior Member
    from NJ

We dont get a dime over 180 a ton put down on lots. I dont know what property manager would be those prices for baged salt..... 50 bucks a bag put down. That is a get rich quick scam you have going on

14. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

For straight Morton rock salt I charge $.30/lb if I spread without plowing, $.23/lb if I spread after plowing, the majority of my salting is straight rock salt. When the weather dictates I charge $.40/lb for Morton pro-grade with CC in it, $.33/lb when I spread after plowing. I got a little bitching and moaning over it but that was just in December when we got a lot of snow. I had the customer get quotes from other "professionals" and that was the end of the whining. I'd love to switch to bulk, but right now I'm just not equipped at the moment. I went through about ten pallets this season.

15. Jay brown

i'm not understanding why a client would pick a "bagged" contractor at $700/ton when they can hire a "bulk" contractor at 1/3 that price?

16. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

The "bulk" contractor might not be honest and "pad" the salting invoices. Where as with the "bagged" contractor you know exactly how much salt is put down and what your bill is going to be.... I can't see this type of setting in a large plaza but in a smaller area I can see it working both for the contractor and the client

17. Rc2505

Mick you are correct. Most smaller business around here any how prefer contractors to aply bagged salt. I always leave the bags on-site, so there is never any question. To give an example I have a customer that was charged $15,000.00 dollars 4 years ago for salt alone. This was done by a reputable contractor. After that season, I bid the job and have had it since. For the past 3 years the highest year for salt so far has been just a tad over 1,300.00 dollars. I told the day I signed the contract that I would have to have salted about 2 semi loads worth of salt to even come close to that number. That would equate to covering the entire lot with close to 3 inches of salt. They told me they still had ice several times after they were charged for salting.The sad part is this contractor used only bulk salt so his costs were half of what I pay for bagged.

18. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

It baffles me to see contractors padding for salt. Set a price, and apply correctly. What's the problem, again?

19. Jay brown

a good experienced bulk salt contractor knows how much he is putting down....if anyone is padding it's the bagged guys at $700-1600 per ton.

20. Rc2505

Jay, I agree. However, handeling bagged salt the 3 times it takes to apply, as well as having trash to get rid of, I think it is way more of a pain in the a$$ to deal with. When the customer request it, then I guess they are the ones paying for it, so I don't mind charging them for it. I would much rather apply bulk, and forget about it, but I don't control the market, so as the old saying goes "it is what it is". One thing I will say is although bagged salt is charged out at alot more money than bulk, I don't pad, I gave a break down above, and thats as cheap as I can do it. If someone come in and can do it cheaper, I will lose a ton of accounts.