1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price This Driveway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WoodBrothersLC, Jun 24, 2005.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC Junior Member

Trying to get enough accounts to buy a plow this fall and was wondering what this size driveway would go for it is 12 yards x 30 yards. We were thinking about $25 w/o de-icer and $32 w/ de-icer Thanks for the input

6-24 001res.JPG
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, can't really answer since we can't see the whole driveway and like I said on your other thread, pricing is very regional. You might want to find someone in your area to consult. I do have a few of questions, though. What equipment are you going to use and where are you going to put the snow? Also, are you going to shovel those steps/walkway? What type of "deicer" are you using and in what circumstances?
  3. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

price it

first of all, ask them if they were satisfied with their plower last year. Then, if you were satisfied, why do you want to change. Once you get the answers to these questions, then you can ask them if they "remember the rate you paid in the past?"

That will give you the roadmap as to how you price this.

If it were me, I would look at something in this range:

$60 a shot, $450 for the season including up to 10 plows, each additional $25.00

over 12 inches, add $25.00 per plow, even if it is a seasonal rate.

Rates do not include walk shovelling.

By getting a seasonal account on some of these smaller driveways it gives you some working capital up front to get equipment or to refurbish your existing equipment. Try to avoid more than 10 seasonals your first time out of the shoot, it will limit your growth in the first year.
  4. Mick

from Maine

Tommy10plows, did you look at this guy's profile or consider he's from Kansas where they get an average of 21" of snow per year? January is typically the heaviest snowfall with 6" for the month.
  5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Kansas? 21 inches of snow? why bother then, a bag of calcuim chloride will take care of this place. Don't buy too much equipment, keep your overhead low low low!

Of course, I wonder why with a 21 inch average and a good old 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer sitting in the driveway, why the owner wants it plowed at all? That Jeep is an excellent no nonsense solid front axle four wheel drive snow killer.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  6. wls

wls Senior Member

Where I'm at, you might get 15-20.00 for it. Probably closer to 15.00 :)
  7. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I wouldnt drop my plow for 15 dollars ..just from the picture i would say 30 but its hard to get a good estimate just by looking at a picture.
  8. wls

wls Senior Member

Lot of guys run a old 85 blazer type snowplow rig, rusted out, no timbrens, and oversize plow mounted on it. nothing against that, but thats the competition we have here. You would'nt believe the plowers around here. We do alot of commercial plowing. There's people that would do it for 10-12 a push. It would be hard to pay taxes and payroll on that. :)
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That's a $30+ per pass for me. Important to note since it's a back drag situation AND a rutted drive it's not going to be clean without ice melt. Maybe that's why they weren't happy with last years provider- make sure you explain the issues you face before the snow so they will not be surprised after the storm.

Also there seems to be little to no place to actually put the snow- which can be a big problem. Without actually looking at the drive to inspect my options as a plower I wouldn;t even take this on. Without easy access to pile snow the price goes up at least $10.00 per pass...
  10. Mick

from Maine

I agree with Tommy10plows' 2nd post on this one. In this situation, a good snow shovel and some ice melt, a power brush or at most a cheap snowblower would be better than a truck and plow. In the New England area, we may get more snow with one snowfall than he gets all year.