1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price Quoting

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rsibill, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Rsibill

Rsibill Junior Member

I would like to get some advice on quoting simple residential driveways (up to 50 feet straight on) in Northwest Nj. What about dealing with paver driveways? What about sidewalks?

Thoughts? Formulas? Guidelines?

-Thank You!
    Edit/Delete Message

2. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

There are literally hundreds of posts on this subject scattered all over this site. You might just cruise thru the forums and read some of the threads.

Some people won't drop thier blade on a driveway for less than $25, some will do it for $15, then some won't do it for less than $50. It all depends on your competition, your costs, type of snow (wet, dry), and how much money you want to make. I think most guys will try to work it to where they make about $125 an hour minimum.. Anything less than that and you're not getting much ahead. At $25/push, that's 5 drives an hour. Which doesn't leave much time for shoveling.

Most of the guys and gals here don't shovel snow. If they do, they charge at the same rate per hour as they would for plowing. Why make less because you want to shovel a sidewalk. You truck isn't making money while you shovel.. Leave shoveling for the hired help..

OK, the rest you can find on the site.. Welcome to Plowsite.com..

3. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Rsibill,

Welcome to plowsite. Here is some info on how I charge for residential driveways. I have about 50 driveways in northern bergen county NJ and all of my clients are given two options.
    1. Seasonal Price (usually 12 times the amout of a single push) paid in advance upon signing agreement.
    2. Per Visit - most of my driveways in NJ are between $35.00 - $60.00 so lets say I quote the driveway at $35.00 here is how my pricing is setup

2"- 6" $35.00
    6"- 12" $70.00
    12+ $140.00

And I charge $100.00 per hour for loader work if I have to move piles.

Hope this helps
    you can also download my Snow Plowing Service Agreement here

http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7467

Jason

4. Rsibill

Rsibill Junior Member

Pricing - JPMAKO

Jason, Thank you for your suggestions - May I call on you again for sugeestions / advice?. My email is Rsibill@aol.com.

-Bill

5. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Bill,

Anytime, that is what this place is about- sharing knowledge/ experiences
    let me know if I can be of any assistance. :waving:
    My e-mail Jason@makoconsulting.com

Jason

6. lewdo

lewdo Junior Member

Anybody from the midwest? How do those prices from NJ fit in with ours? I'm new to plowing too and strangely enough can't get much advise from the locals here. :confused: Guess they don't like competition either.

I've picked up a few residential's and one commerical account. Unfortunately, we haven't had any snow yet. The residential's are 50' long with sidewalks maybe 35' long. I bid $45 each. The commercial account has a parking lot of about 50-60 vehicles and about 150' of sidewalk. I quoted $135 per every 3 inches. Sound reasonable for the midwest?

7. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

im in oakland nj
    i pretty much agree with jpmako,i had a post up here last week about plowing a paver driveway and i pretty much stay away from them.
    i usually add at LEAST $10-15 if the person wants sidewalks done.

8. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I'm from Central Jersey...

I hope you are not going to base your costs off of what other people are charging...IMO it's the wrong way to start/operate your business. Comparing your business to someone elses (that you only know through an internet forum) is like the old apples to oranges comparison. Each company will have different expenses, experiences, company goals, profit margins, rules, regualtions, etc. Therefore, everyones price will be different.

9. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

thats true, but i think you need to make a certain amount per hour for each vehicle you have out there plowing and thats what im basing my advise on.

10. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I plow in Essex and Unoin counties and will not go lower than $50 as base price for a driveway and charge extra for shoveling. As far as pavers, try not to do them its a hassle, but if you must I don't know if you can charge more . Just be carefull, lift the plow up an inch.

11. DJL

DJL Senior Member

you made my point...

You THINK you need to make a certain amount per hour, while I THINK I need to make a certain amount per hour. Who is to say they are the same? It's all independent.

12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

$10 for flagdowns, other then that I dont do residentials

13. DJL

DJL Senior Member

:waving:

That's me flagging you down...I'm hoping you travel to jersey...

aww, what the heck, I'll throw in 5 bucks for gas and make it 15.

14. Big Nate's Plowing

lol, the way I see it is I backdrag the drive and made $10 twards the next coffee/lunch break then yay!!

15. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Nate your kidding aren't you?
    $10 dollars for a driveway?
    That's what I charged back in 1966 for a drive.
    Will calls and flag downs "always" should alway pay more then your regular customers that took the time to sign up with you.
    Our base rate would be at least $50 dollars and up, you need to come out and visit again so we can work on your pricing buddy.
    :rolleyes: John.........................

16. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I think BigNate wants to be classified as a lowballer. :jester:

17. Big Nate's Plowing

yes I am kidding John, I dont do residentials at all, all commercial here :p :p

18. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

I just knew that you were buddy!
    :rolleyes: John..................

19. Big Nate's Plowing

how'bout turning AIM on so we can chat :cool:

20. newjerseybt

newjerseybt Junior Member
    from 5b, 6a

I have a home in Jersey and in PA. In North Jersey there is plenty of money
    from Wall Street available for snow services.

In Honesdale, PA folks are lucky to make $15.00/Hr and everyone has a 4 wheel drive or tractor with a plow or a snowblower. Taxes are real cheap though. Mine are $1400/year on 5 acres including all services which is why I am leaving Jersey where I now pay over $8,000 in taxes on 1/4 acre.

Even though Honesdale is full of seniors, many people perform snow services for the old folks for free. The mentality is completely different out there.

I think the money in PA is in repairing old snow equipment and tractors.
    I think welding is the way to go. I was a programmer/analyst. You can
    export a programming job but you can't export a welder.