1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price per plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowbike, Oct 13, 2007.

1. snowbike

snowbike Junior Member
    from Utah

This will be my first year in plowing for my customers. I would like to get some advise as how much to charge per event. They are afew gas station lots. And some resident driveways. Any ideas. Also I am looking for a plow to fit a 88 Chev pick up.
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

There are a couple different ways you can go about it. So much $$$ per inch or per push or per season. You'll need to know what your customers are comfortable with. All of my bids are per push and include a clause that calls for an extra charge if we have accumulations over 10" (I just call it a Blizzard Clause).

Make sure you're insured properly and that you don't bite off more than you can chew. You'll lose customers very quickly if you can't meet people's expectations.
  3. snowbike

snowbike Junior Member
    from Utah

I was working on per hour. And Im sure that rate is about $65.00 per hour here. But was going to bid per push with it being gas stations. For just pushing snow only wasnt sure if i should go with 65.00 each lot or less. Just looking for some ideas Thanks for the reply.
  4. gqnine44

gqnine44 Junior Member

I dont know about Utah but $65 an hour sounds too cheap. To me we are working in the worst possible conditions, on call 24/7, having expensive equipment that may or may not get used depending on the weather, this line of work destroys your vehicles, there is a tremendous amount of risk in this business, etc.. I think 125 an hour is more than fair. If everyone around here was charging $65 I wouldnt be in this business.
  5. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

$65.- per hour is way to low IMO! even 125.- is to low... like he said you work in bad conditions, you put your truck on the line, you have to pay for your insurance, you have to spent your time billing.... I charge per push and my cheapest driveway is 35.- per push. I average around 8 to driveways per hour, you do the math. I have about 65 accounts with 2 trucks, but I know I'm pushing that to the limit, we should really get a 3rd truck (but I know myself, I would be looking for 20 more accounts then...):rolleyes:
  6. location location location

Michigan jobs are in the toilet
    and there are more people loosing their homes every day

Any kid with a pickup and a beat up plow has a plow business.

And to make it worse, the folks with vacation homes worth half a mil
    want to chew you down until you break

we get what we can, do the best we can, do better than the others
    and hope it is enough.

if I work for free its because I want to and when I want to help some one that needs it
    but the guy with the big bucks that wants to try and squeeze blood out of a rock,..
    he can go get a shovel and see what the job is worth,..

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know if you've got the advice or not you were looking for yet.

But here goes.

The guys on the east coast are going to say $85-125 / hour is too cheap. It also costs $500k for a 2500 sq ft house on 1 acre of property.

The guys in the midwest are going to say that's good, because the same house will cost $300k.

Don't know about the west cost, don't see enough posters on the boards that I'm on to get a feel for it.

I know it's not apples to apples, but my point is, that your pricing is going to be directly related to the lifestyle and cost of living surrounding you.

I can move 30 miles from me and there's 1975 mobile homes scattered about on 10 acres of wooded swamp land. Obviously that guy is not going to need to charge as much to make a house payment as compared to if I go 30 miles the opposite direction and it's $1M home on 1.5-2 acres.

And those $1M homes would be $1.5-2M homes the closer you get to the east cost.

I charge $125 / hour, but I also only do a flat fee for the season, divided monthly.