1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price Per Lb Applied - Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mow Right, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

Hello,

My contractor is charging me per lb to apply salt, and my customer thinks his price is high. I hate to ask prices, but what do you guys think the market rate is, per pound applied this year? (or xxx per 50lb bag, ect) .

This is not a salt/sand mix or anything, just plain salt.

I did a search but could only find old threads which probably aren't up to date with pricing.

Thanks

2. anolke

anolke Junior Member

I am charging .75 per pound of ice melt spread with no trip charge other guys are .50-.75 for ice melt not just stright salt

3. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is "ice melt"?
    Are you referring to a salt/sand combo?
    So straight salt prices would be higher than this?

4. anolke

anolke Junior Member

When people talk about salt thay mean rock salt.Ice melt in a mix of salt and other chimecles not sand
    just stright salt is cheaper then ice melt. but most ice melts go to 0 degrres or lower and still melt where i think salt only melts to 5 above 0

5. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

Got ya, thanks. So what is a good price for just plain rock salt per lb (applied)?

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

rock salt $.20-.25 per lb depending on quantity

ice melt starts at $.25 and goes up from there depending on purchase price

7. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

We're putting down 800lbs per application. 5 applications so far this year.

8. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

That's 20.00 per 80 pound bag and thats on the low side. A lot of prices for that quanity per stop are in the 30+ dollar per bag range or .37 per pound and up. You will lose a lot of bids at that price but you will get some. 5 applications for Ohio right now is not abusing the customer either.

9. Mow Right

Mow Right Junior Member

Thanks for the replys. I have a better idea of what is market rate now.

10. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

When we used bagged salt it was $.35 per LB included spreading. Now we only use bulk, so its actually lower, but we bill per application now too b/c you can't measure out lbs when using a 4 ton v-box.

11. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

average is a quarter a pound applied around here. Bagged Halite Mix typically.

12. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Rock salt spread on site for $32,00 per 50# bag.payup

13. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Wow.... $32 a bag is some serious coin for salt! More power to ya ! :gunsfiring:

14. tgaskill

tgaskill Junior Member

Dang if your getting $32 a bag of salt spread I need to move to IL. NOT anywhere close here....

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

$32/bag

I better get my knee highs on cause its getting pretty deep:rolleyes:

16. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Thats for a 50# bag too. The 80# price must be 50.00.....WOW......I believe a statement like that caused a BIG ole pissin match on another thread here this week.

17. jamartz

jamartz Member

I get .30/Lb for ice melt. Rock salt/Halite I get .20/lb Its not enough, but I have lost accounts over the price before. If I tried $32 per bag I wouldn't have any accounts! More power to ya for getting that kinda money!

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How many tons do you spread /night?

19. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

He must have a 100 dollar job that he covered black ice on with 3 bags once and figured 32 per bag... I know around here if you "quote" 25.00 per 80# bag you will lose a LOT of bids.

20. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Not saying this is a good price, but I have on account that uses 80 Lbs. of ice melt and I get $60 per app. But hardly anybody else uses it around here, so there is no set price.

payup