1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price of the diesel option

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Carlito, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Carlito

Carlito Member

Hi,
    In doing research here on this site i came upon quite a few posts from roughly 5 years ago that said the diesel option in the ford's gm's and dodge's was around $4000-$5000. Now the option is $8500-$9500. Does anyone know what's going on here? The price of the vehicles haven't risen as much have they?
    I would appreciate any insight.

2. danir333

danir333 Junior Member
    from CT

Cost of Diesel...

Its the government restrictions on burning cleaner diesel.
    Anyone ever thought of converting to vegi? Burning clean used vegi oil in my trucks all year ... the cost of diesel is not an issue for me. getting vegi for 1/2 the cost of diesel.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think your $8500-$9500 is a little on the high side.

Do you pay road tax on that?

4. danir333

danir333 Junior Member
    from CT

you actually get tax credits. just need to know where to look..

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

He's right on the money Scott. Full list on my Dmax was over 9k. No joke.:eek:

6. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

what?

I'd love to hear more on the tax credits for a diesel truck. I just bought my 2009 f350 diesel about three months ago and the diesel option was about $7,000. What are you guys getting for mileage on the ford 6.4 liters? I can get 15-18 all day long. :nod: driving like an a$$ 12-14 :realmad: and on the highway drafting a semi on flat ground 24.4mpg :eek: I'd hate too see it when she's loaded with salt and my wideout? :help:

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

My bad, I didn't notice he was Canadian.

8. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Just be thankfull that your only buying a pickup, some heavy truck manufacturers have now said that the 2010's will be $9,000-$10,000 MORE than the 2009's due to new emission standards and required equipment.

9. danir333

danir333 Junior Member
    from CT

first thing is you need to prove your runnin on an alternatiive fuel..they do an inspection,yadda yadda. i am using a vegistroke system that i bought from pieter in connecticut.. (is an awsome system btw fully automatic just for fords and dodge) im pushin about 1000k on 70 gal of vegi (wvo). no power loss and smells like mony in the bank..last year i saved 12k onmy trucks and a decent amount on taxes.

10. Carlito

Carlito Member

11. Carlito

Carlito Member

One of the biggest complaints about the 6.4l ford diesel that i've been reading is it's crappy fuel economy but your numbers are great.

12. pushin 4 u

pushin 4 u Member

that's what everybody keeps telling me! I've heard of guys getting only 7-10 mpg and they were pi$$ed, rightfully so for the amount of dough for the diesel. We'll see how it goes, only have 5800 miles on it. that vegi thing sounds very complicated and you probally need a barn for all the filtering stuff...right?

13. danir333

danir333 Junior Member
    from CT

not at all man, its as simple as heating it up and runnin it thru a filter...and if you look, i would put money on it that there are people around you sellin it filtered allready for about a buck or so... i was collecting and filtering but i found a dude in jersey and im getting it for 85cents a gallon and pickin up 1000 gallons at a time...look into it..

14. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

24 mpg--wear did you go to school

I hear guys from time to time say they are getting in the middle 20's for mileage.Now in reality if one of the big 3 were actually getting that kind of highway mileage do you think the other 2 would be selling any 3/4 or 1 ton pickups ? I had one salesman tell me that alot of his customers were getting 18-19 mpg with 5.4l fords.I told him great where do I sign.Oh before I sign put a clause in it saying I will get that or I can bring the truck back for a full refund.He backed off.

15. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

My 2008 f350 V10 gas gets 10-12 mpg on the highway empty despite a promise of 15-16. I've asked the salesman to look for someone to buy it so I can get a new diesel. Any diesel mileage comparisons?

16. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

2006 F350 6.0 Powerstroke getting 13-15. 70% city, 30% highway

17. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

My 09 F350 goes thru 22L/100km or 10.69 miles/ US gal.
    Thirsty she be.