1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price of salt per pound

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rock&snow, Jan 17, 2006.

1. rock&snow

rock&snow Junior Member

Do you guys charge for commercial lots salt by the pound or just general application and how much. I charge for each 50 pound bag and mark up on each bag. Just wondering how others do it. payup

Thanks

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I charge by the hundred weight. I use bulk salt and guesstimate usage based on the knowledge of weight fully loaded and how many lots with one load.Not scientific but usually close enough.

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Some are flat fee per salting. Most are per pound. There is a huge difference in application rates between salting after a 4" snow with temps in the upper 20's and an ice event with 1 1/2" of ice only temps in the lower to mid 20's. The flat rate accounts usually get repeated saltings on these events, therefore they are billed for more than one salting. It is realistic and fair to both parties in my opinion.

4. green leaf

green leaf Junior Member

I charge 4 times what a bag costs me, if salt costs me $5.00 a bag then I charge $20.00 applied.

5. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i get 3 times what salt costs me. i charge by the pound. i buy salt for .06 per pound and apply for .18 per pound. i'm a little high for my area but thats better than being low. most guys around here only get 14-15 per pound

6. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Very good question! This morning I got called out to do a resort that I am contracted to take care of, ( the security guys help me by keeping a eye out for any problems Ice- or if it starts to Snow / rain whatever. the contract states one price to treat all blacktop @ $500. a pop. the problem is this time there was only one lot that had rain runoff going over it and it froze, some places 1 1/2 " thick. I only used appx. 1/5 the normal volume of salt, so do I charge full price? or cut them a break?

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Would you charge extra if you used 5x the normal amount?

8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I agre with MICK. Now you have to spend the same amount of time to set-up, similar anount of time to preform, same amount of time to clean your rig up............... Bill the same!!!!!!!!!!!

9. norrod

norrod Senior Member

I'd have to give them a break, and make sure they know it.

I want to make sure they do not feel I am taking advantage, and have them find a new contractor next year.