1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price of Salt and where to buy by the ton in Maine?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RAMCon, Jul 17, 2010.

1. RAMCon

RAMCon Junior Member
    from Maine

I am looking into bidding in some commericial contracts (business parking lots) in southern maine. I was wondering if anyone knew where to purchase salt by the ton and about roughly the cost. Also I have 3/4 ton truck I would like to purchase a spreader for it has a 8' bed and was wondering if a regular spreader would have no problem with rock salt.
    What do you think?

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

where in Maine are you?

3. RAMCon

RAMCon Junior Member
    from Maine

About 15 mins north west of portland. Windham area. Lakes Regions.

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

do you have anyway to load it or are you looking for loaded salt? You can use a 3/4 truck but you should add one or 2 extra springs for the back... remember when you reg it to reg it up to the weight you'll be hauling or big tickets will ensue...lol

5. RAMCon

RAMCon Junior Member
    from Maine

I do have a loader i will be renting off a friend for the season. I talked to a guy up in oxford that sells it by the pallet. Of course it comes in 50 pound bags. But I think we can manage. I'm reg is as high as you can possible go as we do lots of construction and roofing and other jobs in the summer time 12600. I'm kinda having trouble wondering how to bid the job. I only have but a day left. Its a single box building with parking all the way around it and I believe loading docks out back. I'd say perhaps a 30ft wide by 150 long. Just a rought estimate. Let me know if you need more exact details and I will get them tom.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Tom,
    I don't mind helping but you have to ask yourself these ?'s.... WHAT ARE MY COSTS (Ie insurances, workers comp, truck/equipment payments, payroll, fuel, taxes, overhead, ect.....)? Once you know that, What do I want to make per hour?

You then figure out how long the lot should take based on WHAT THEY WANT and multiply that by your rate (everyones is different but your rate should be over $100 per hour per pc of equipment. Alot of times they just think your only plowing ,whats the big deal ?..... do they have a 0 tolerance policy? whats their trigger depth to start plowing? how often do you need to come back (Id assume with a box store they'd want nothing more then 2" on the ground before you'd have to service them), do they want sidewalk service? if not, who's responsible for a slip and fall? sand and salt mixture or just straight salt? I don't know if your going to be able to put together a bid soon enough because you really have to know your costs before bidding or you can lose your shirt.

With your salt problem... if you only reg your truck for 12.6k and you have a loaded v box spreader you'll be over that limit.. I reg mine for 18k lbs. I'm around 13-14 full frieghted with salt. and when I tow my skid around dot considers the COMBINED weight of the truck , trailer , and skid.... im alittle over 17 when that happens. Police have nothing better to do in the middle of a storm then pester the only people out there (us plow guys).
    Salt... depending on the accounts you get, bags are a pita and expensive... if you have someway to load it (skidsteer or tractor) bulk is the way to go...... Now I'm not going to give you all the answers but I think I've pointed you in the right direction and if this is your first year plowing you might be better off with smaller commercials and resi driveways or sub for a fellow established company.... It just takes one slip and fall and it can ruin your season!

Good Luck
    Mike