1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price of new 810 cutting edge??

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by GMSNOW, Feb 10, 2010.

1. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

I have a 810 power plow that needs a new cutting edge. I called the dealer he wants $436 for the cutting edge and a set of wings. The new cutting edge is 5/8 inch thick.

Is this a reasonable price?

If not where can I get a better price?

Is installing the cutting edge a pain in the butt to install or should I spend the $70 extra to have the dealer do it?

Thx
    GM

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I got a 1/2" main edge, custom 1/4" wing edges with Winters Carbides welded on them, shipped from Jerre to me for right at $600.

Took me about 1/2 hour from start to finish to replace them, is $70 worth 30 minutes of your time?

3. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

I too had to order new cutting edges and they were around $600 shipped to me. The nearest Blizzard dealer that sells parts is 100 miles south and they had none in stock. Had to order through them and direct ship to us from Blizzard. Got the main cutting edge and the HD wings. Once we pull the old one off I am going to see if our local manufacturing places can make them so I don't have to wait or pay for shipping. I called two different dealers in Missouri and they were the same price for cutting edges.

4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Sounds good I am at $575 installed. Let the dealer do it, depends on how long the edge has been on the truck or how hard you are on the blade. Most of my bolts need to be heated blood red or cut off. Im a "little" haha understatement abusive.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Do you use Anti-Seize compond on anything? Everything I've ever assembled plow-related has been liberally coated with it, and comes apart as intended.

6. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Hah! Stonebrooke quoted me the same price. They can stuff it if they think they'll get that kind of money out of me. I bought some steel and made my own for about $80. Granted, I just used mild steel, but I can afford to replace them every year for the cost of new ones.

7. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

We would eat mild steel up in one event. Many people like me plow roads, at higher than speeds in your drive or a commercial lot.

8. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Sure. For about $150 I could have used hardened steel, which is still a far cry from the $436 the dealer wants.

I used mild steel more out of curiosity than anything. I figured it would be interesting to compare the wear rates between the different steels and further compare that to their respective costs. Obviously one needs also to figure in the extra labor in replacing a mild steel cutting edge, as you'd do it more often. So far, it's performing far above my initial expectations.