1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price of a western plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MWS LAWN, Jan 5, 2002.

MWS LAWN Junior Member

I've never bought a plow before, and was woundering if 3600.00 was a fair price for a new western with ultramount. It would be going on a 99 SD w/psd extended cab longbed. The dealer said that beings the truck was that configuration it would not hold one of the bigger blades? Anyway they are installing it and everything, just wanting some opinions.
  2. jackfrost

jackfrost Junior Member

MWS,Im a new memeber here and I will tell you your in the right place for plowing advice.These guys helped me.Im not familar with western plows so I dont know if thats a fair price and some distributors of plows have some different prices.What size blade is going on your truck?With the desiel you cant have a plow that weighs too much.The desiel already puts alot of weight on the front end.I have a 97 ram 2500 with the desiel and the boss 8'2" v plow.My truck handles it alright,squatts a little in the front end.Dont exceed the axle ratings either.If its overloaded,your truck is dangerous to everyone on the road.Braking becomes a problem,steering and just overall bad for the truck,plow and driver.Ive seen 8'westerns and 8'boss on ford 3/4 tons.Its really up to you,see how much your willing to spend and how big a plow you need.Is your plow a straight blade or a v?also invest in a strobe or rotating light(unless you already have one)it saved me a couple times.
  3. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

I just got and 8'6 western ultramount with the cabcommand control installed for $3518.50
  4. sledhead

sledhead Member

I just bought a Western 8ft poly with the Ultra-Mount and Cab-Command.
    Paid $3,120.00 but I installed it myself.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If the dealer is sold out of pre season units, then that pirce might be reasonalble. If he still has pre season units siting on the floor, then you should be able to get a unit installed for under 3500.00
    You didnt mention if the truck was a 250/350, but since they have the same axel rating, I guess it doesnt matter.
    I would think that you will be able to get at least an 8' maybe 8.5 plow. The dealer may only want to install a 7.5 due to the FAWR.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I got a price of 3150+tax, for the ultramount 8.5 here in december.So the price is a little high,but if its snowing there,the price will be higher than here with no snow.

MWS LAWN Junior Member

It's either a 7.3 or 7.5 he said it was the heavies that could go on my truck. BTW they have to install cab lights on top of the truck also.

go with the widest blade you can put on it in my opinion...i put a 7'6" boss on my f-150 (7700 series) and i wish i had that extra 6" on it it does make a difference especially around corners .....wider is better.....just my opinion...
  9. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

what size truck f250 or f350?
    whar length bed 7ft or 8 ft?
    look in drivers front door for axle rating?
    Thanks #1 PT
  10. John DiMartino

They've gone too far,having to install cab lights,what a joke.Anything to make a buck.Those aftermarket cab lights either leak,or end up making the roof rust out in a few years,if they are not installed correctly,around here,no one installs anything the right way,the motto is just get it done,worry about it later,more stuff is installed wrong than right,IMO,by "professional" installers most of the time.
  11. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN Junior Member

plowtech, it's a '99 F-250 psd, 7 ft. bed, 4800lbs. rating. BTW extended cab.
  12. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

7ft bed? I thougt they came in 8ft and 6.5 ft?
  13. John DiMartino

Ford Sd has a 7 or 8 ft bed,Chevy,Ford F150/250LD,and dodge use a 6 and 1/2 fter
  14. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

MWS LAWN- .
    Sorry, if youre looking for a Western, they don't recommend one for your truck w/ diesel,7ft bed,ext cab ,4800lb axle. Im not saying it wont fit, or it has not been done, only that Western does not recommend it with your combo. Good luck PT.

p.s. if you had a 5200 lb front axle that would change things
  15. John DiMartino

I didnt think Ford put the 4800 on the excab diesel.Is it 4800 because of the springs or axle?If the springs,I'd mount it anyway,as long as the axle is the 5200 Dana 50.If it squats,add the stiffer springs,X code?,or add timbren/Monroe boosters.