1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price gouging?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Young Pup, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I have heard of prices from 254 to 318 a skid for salt. I myself was paying around 200 for a skid earlier this year.

Do you pass the cost on to your customers or take a loss. I have nothing im my contracts about raising the price of salt in times like this. Curious as to what you all are doing?

Thank you,
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The funny part is your probably still making money at that price. Is it your customers fault the price went up. You can probably just cut your spreading rate back a bit and leave the price the same. It will all work out in the end. JMO
  3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

JP its been 5 years or so, we had the same problem!

Just put on the invoice, due to the increase price of salt, salt is now Blah blah blah

No one had a problem with this.

Dave is also right on his point..... if ur have to raise ur price but if not dont
  4. mustangmike45

mustangmike45 Member

personally i just eat the price difference. by using a good quality bagged product as compared to a bulk product like plain rock salt I have found that i actually use about 1/5 as much product to do the same job. so the 70.00/ton bulk price is actually comparable to the pallet price in the long run as 2500lbs per pallet =$340.00 compared to the 70.00/ton times 1.25 (2500 lbs pallet vs 2000lbs rock salt) $87.50 for 2500 lbs of bulk. So what i am saying is 340.00/5 = 68.00 per application for bagged melter or 87.50 for bulk, bagged only 500lbs is needed and bulk 2000-2500 lbs are needed. I know this may sound like a weird way to look at it but I have been using bagged material only the last few years and i am making more money now than ever before and i don't have the huge pile of salt sitting around all year either! Hope this helps
  5. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I would say on most of them yes. But one in particular which is a church and my Mom is a member I was giving a heck of a deal. So that is the only one that I would think about raising. Right or wrong I am debating this issue right now.