1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

price for salting what do you think

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pvtwaggs14, Jul 13, 2010.

1. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

I am putting together my bid for plowing and salting 11 gas stations around my area they are all on one contract. I have done the math and came up with a price it seems a little low to me what do you guys think.

I would be using 650lbs of salt if the salting is to be done after the snow plowing is complete it would be an extra $260 that would be $0.40 per pound of salt spread. If the salt is being put down before a storm or only an ice and the lots are not being plowed then I charge an extra $5 for every station to offset the fuel price that is already added in if I was to plow. that brings the total to $315.

Do the numbers add up for they way you charge also or do they seem low. Any help both good and bad is better than nothing. Thanks for the help....

Wes

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think you can use a per pound price. You are using so little salt it doesn't add up. You are willing to salt a location for $30. $0.40/pound is really high for the amount of salt I put down but I don't have a site I would do for less the $75 regardless of size.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  3. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

im not really charging by the pound... its more of a breakdown to make sure I am on par with everyone else. I am plowing and salting speedway gas stations and for example the small ones will only use 1/2 of a 50 lb bag of salt and im charging them $10 to do it, one of the larger ones is going to take 100lbs and im charging $40 for it.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't do anything for $10 even if I was already there. Do you have to break down site by site pricing. Are you sure you can salt something with 25lbs of salt? I can't really price for your area but $40/site seems low enough to me. If you are only salting, you have to get out of bed, get the truck, load the salter and salt these lots that you are liable for.

5. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

I have to brake them down by store and how much the lot is the 25lbs will cover good the gas station has 2 pumps and 3 parking spots now sdiewalk at the street is is very small. In the contract that I have made up so far it says that the price is only for salting after we plow. If it is only for salting there is a $5 per store charge which gains me an extra 55 bucks just for the salting.... it might be a little bit on the low side I have room to go up but I also dont want to go to high and loose the account.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are comfortable with your pricing then that's what counts. If you are making a good wage then that is what counts. It is hard for me to think in the same terms as you. All my stuff is all in, salt, plow and sidewalks.

7. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

I wish we could only salt when we plow but we get a lot of freezing rain so there is a lot of years where you will salt a place 15 to 20 times a year and only plow them about 8.... I will have to revisit the amout of salt that I have quoted to put down.

how much is the rate for putting down salt I know it varies on the weather the temp a bunch of things but a basic rate i've been told 300ft^2 for a 50lb bag of salt that doesn't seem right to me though....

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think the salt rate is double that. We use 800lbs/2000sq'.

I would love to only salt and never plow. We would make a good team.:drinkup:

9. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

Yeah we would I love to plow but I really think the money is in the salting when you get into the larger stuff.... I know of bigger CO that have huge dumptrucks that are only used for plowing no spreaders on their pickups the "salt team" goes out a few hrs after the "snowplowing team" starts ive heard but never seen them... I think it would be fun to watch

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

You sure about your application rate for salt?

11. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

Johnny what is your rate that you put down salt

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Isn't an acre 2000 sq'. LOL

Too many things going on.

800lbs/43,000sq'.

13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It's actually 43,560. xysport

14. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

$40.00 Per app is the lowest I would go for a commercial salt application. Don't sell sell you self short, 10.00 is not even in the ball park I would never do anything for that. You can make some money in ice control.

15. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

I just went through and redid my prices for salting the stations. My smallest station im still at only $30.00 it will take 2 paths. the size of the gas station is 5,000ft2 very small and I feel that $30 is a good deal for both them and me.

16. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

yea your math is way off... 25 pounds? more like 250 pounds....

17. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

Im not the best with math but when you take 2000ft2 and devide the 250lbs you say it will take thats 20lbs per ft2 you would be sliding on the salt not the ice.... im not saying my numbers were right but how can you use that much salt

18. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

key word "LIKE" ( called sarcasm) my way of saying your way low...
    dont skimp if you think your gonna use 25 bid it for 75lbs or 100 always round up...if its cold ur gonna drop more anyways - gas station = high traffic = compacted snow= u gonna need a pisss load of salt to get down to bare pavement... 25 lbs is "lab" stats = perfect conditions = 32 degrees sunny, non compacted snow.....not saying im just saying
    also think about the high ass amount of liability your takin on... gas stations are high traffic areas, lots of people walking around driving = lots of liability for you - !. i hope u have good insurance, 2. whats the liability worth to you? there is a price for being the skape goat - when someone falls and wants to sue you, sure your insurance co might cover you, but what about your deductible, lost work time because your in court...

don't short change yourself is all im saying.

19. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

sorry didnt read it with the "like" like that... thought you were throwing some real numbers my way. I completly understand that salting depends on the storm the weather the traffice in the lots. just some numbers i have been looking at tell me what you think

100lbs of salt for the station at $.35 per pound is $35
    100lbs of salt bought in bulk at $65 pe ton $.03 per pound
    100lbs of salt bags at $ 4.50 per 50lbs is $.09 per pound

seems like there is a pretty good mark up already not that i want to give away free salt but sometimes you put it down heavy and other it will be lighter in the end it should work out.

Am I missing something somewhere. or is my price right for spreading the salt just low because im not looking at the risk that my CO is taking... so raise the price because of the risk?

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

2000sq' and 250 lbs. is 8sq'/lb not 20lbs/sq'. Anyways if you use 800lbs for 40,000sq' and you need to do 5000sq' then that is 1/8 the area so 1/8 of 800 is 100lbs. If you buy bulk that might cost $3-4 but charging $30 is the lowest I would go.