1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

price for axles

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jb1390, Feb 18, 2011.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I am slightly considering upgrading from semi to full float in the rear end of my truck. There is a local guy that had a fire in his truck, (interior is shot), but the axles are ok, with 130k on them. What would a good price for these be? He was looking for 200 per axle.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

6 lug now or 8 lug.

and if 8 lug now check the axle ratio. might need the rear only if same ratio. if 6 lug now then not worth it. the front diff swap to 8 lug will require lots of fab work. unless you get the whole rollin frame/axles and swap the body/driveline over.

and good shape 14 ff rear is worth 150-300 most private sales.

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

It's a swap from an 8 lug to an 8 lug. Part of the reasoning would be to get a FF rear axle to replace the SF I have now. I am also hoping it has 4.10's in it-my gears are currently 3.73. The front end has some whining now when in 4x4-not bad, but it could get to be a problem. if the axles are 4.10 and I could get a better ratio as well, it might be worth the effort.

have you ever heard of a semi floater breaking from overloading, or towing a large load? I move a lot of weight from time to time, even just in the woods behind me house.

4. sweetk30

those 9.5 ring gear semi ffloater 14 bolts are good axle.

but if the deal is what ya want not to bad if you ask me. just the labor to install then.

5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

your front and rear axle ratios must match.

6. sweetk30

thats why he prob said he can get each axle for 200.

but good point as some people try and swap 1 and blow up stuff.

local tire shop to me had guy want 2 new tires on 4x4 truck and and thay even told him not safe. but bosses friend so he let it fly.

2 days later truck back on trow truck. front diff exploded. :laughing: