1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price discrepincies

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mishnick, Feb 15, 2014.

1. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have been looking at increasing my inventory of common plow parts for next winter and have found huge discrepancies on part prices between Western retailers and online prices. For example the grey plastic vent cap used on all ultra-mount pump assemblies costs me $38 Cdn. here in Calgary AB. Online I see them for just over $20 US. Can anyone shed any light on this huge difference in price? Are these online parts original Western or are they Chinese knock offs? Where do you guys who live in the US buy your parts and do you see the same ridiculous prices from the dealerships?

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I don't buy parts for my plows online. I go to a brick and mortar store because those are the guys that support us in the middle of a storm.

3. Jodan

Jodan Junior Member

I think its the convenience factor , the store have your item now, and they have it now in a storm VS I can wait and get a better price from a wholesale retailer online. I bet some of the parts you see online are aftermarket not genuine oem.

4. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

American dollar is stronger? Wont you have to pay a duty on it?

5. mishnick

US dollar is way up right now and that will hurt a bit. Seems prices for American products always go up instantly with the dollar but take months to go down when we are on par. As far as duty goes, as long as I don't order more than $200 at a time it usually doesn't get hit. Even then we have to pay duty on everything we buy directly from Western too. Just seems strange that something that costs me $38 Cdn here can be purchased and shipped here overnight for $25 Cdn. Somebody is making way too much money...

6. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

Got to keep in mind the cost of running a brick and mortar(nice I like that term) store, electric, gas, mortgage, insurance, maintenance costs, snow removal,phone, internet, garbage, I am sure I am missing a couple so paying a few more bucks is worth it to me just so I know I have a local dealer in my area that goes above and beyond ...plus never had the internet run on a Sunday to get me parts....

7. mishnick

I agree with your point completely but I am in a different position than you. I am trying to be one of those guys that is there for the operators in the middle of the night opening my doors to help them get their plow back on the road. I have one plow running but my primary income is in the service and repair department. I don't just need to keep one spare part for my plow, I need 4 of everything. Now is the time I need to be spending $10,000 on bits and pieces for next winter's inventory. When I have to pay $38 for a friggin vent plug here and I can get them for $22 online it's a big deal. At that rate I can get $15,000 work of parts for my $10K.

8. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

If its the same as it is here, you can't rely on the "brick and mortar" store to carry enough parts to have what you need in stock. If you are going to run a business, its sad you have to look out for yourself but thats just the way it is sometimes. Even the local Bobcat dealer doesn't stock many of the parts I need regularly, although they are getting better.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Add 10-12% on for the dollar and add on your provinces sales tax when it crosses the border. Only ship USPS not FedEx or UPS or you'll pay a min $50 brokerage fee. Most times with USPS it will make it to your house with nothing more then you having to pay sales tax, which is on top of your price when you buy stuff in province. There is no duty to pay whatsoever.