1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price Differences Snow vs Ice???

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Lawn Care Plus, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

How many of you include a price for plowing snow and then a different price for plowing ice?

It may sound strange, but if you are plowing at a flat rate, and an ice storm hits like it did last year, you will lose your shirt.

I have one such a deal, and it is a flat rate HOA. All of my other contracts are on a per hour basis.

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i wish i could help answer your Q'

my large contracts are by the hour +salt +hour's aplieing salt now on some of our small comm. we do a flat rate and i charg the same. i guess i don't have enough flat rater's to make a differance, i have a carpet store that does not want salt on the lot or in the store so we'll take skidsteers and pry the ice up for the same money as snow-plow but the've been a cust. for years
  3. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I gave my customers pricing this year based on the amount of snow we get per storm. I told them extreme conditions, like the snow and ice we got here on Valentines Day would be billed straight hourly at $125.00 per hour. I got shortchanged on a few accounts last year due to the ice we got.
  4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

No matter what kind of contract, I have to go with straight hourly for ice -it is under your trigger depth in most contracts anyhow. Conditions vary too much as well, a few degrees one way or the other can double your time on the site pretty easily.
  5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

That is a great point Ryan K. Never occured to me that the ice would be under the trigger depth. 2" of ice would be a little tough to remove.

:) Customer calling, "When are you going to come remove the ice from my driveway?
    Me, "When it reaches 2" in depth."