1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price check help?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by vmj, Jan 12, 2009.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Wondering if anyone can tell me what a fair price to salt/sand a res driveway would be. I only sand com lots so i'm not sure what would be fair. THANKS.

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

3-4x the cost of the salt? Hows that?

pay $5/50lbs, charge em $15-20/50lbs.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I pay 4.50 a bag, including tax. I charge 18 dollars a bag to apply. That should give you an idea.

4. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I use a V hopper sander and i already have sand/salt left in it. Thanks for your help..

5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Tell the customer a price and if buy it you do it. Next customer go higher. If they buy it you do it. Keep going until you have to reduce your price, then you will know.

It can't take a lot of salt/sand to do a residential driveway. I pay $5 a ton for sand in the summer and the price is around $120 a ton for salt around here.

6. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

It's $13 ton in summer for sand here. $95 ton salt $75 ton sand/salt mix

7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I just read the Minutes to the City council meeting from the town I do alot of work for. $47.00 a ton for salt. Must be nice.

So that's $0.04 a pound. If you were to spread it would you use 50 pounds or 1 bag of salt? I don't know. I don't salt. I'm just trying to help you figure out your rate.

Let's say you did. That's $2.00 worth of salt/sand mix. I have heard of guys charging $18.00 to put down a bag of salt. Hope that helps.