1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Price Check. Help Please!

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by ATV Plow King, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ATV Plow King

ATV Plow King Senior Member

What would you guys pay for a

1986 GMC 1500 4x4.
    305 5.7l
    7.5 meyer plow
    Tansmission and transfer case rebuilt 20k ago.
    Minimal rust on frame but some on cab (corners and wheel wells)

??

I want lots of answers (please)

Thanks a bunch

-Bill

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

sounds about 1800-2500 range

3. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I agree no more than 2500, you can find trucks in thr mid to late 90's for under 3000

4. ATV Plow King

Then im getting a steal.. Because the guy only wants $600 for it.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

305 is 5.0 liter, 350 is 5.7 liter. It's probably a 350, but 305 is ok for plowing. Is it an automatic? Probably 700R4

Either way, it's a steal. Don't wait.

6. ATV Plow King

Up for sale is an 87 GMC Sierra 4x4 with a 305. The transmission and transfer case were rebuilt about 20k ago. The truck has around 120k on it and the motor runs strong. We would be more than happy to let an interested party test drive it. The truck does not have a current inspection. We had gotten the truck with the intention of using it as a secondary vehicle for our barn, but when the trans went in my old truck, I got a new one and we have no need for a second vehicle anymore. Everything that is needed for the truck to be used as a plow vehicle is included. The plow is a Meyer brand and had 300 put into it after the last plowing season, I don't know anything about it other than that. Please email with any questions

Theres the stats, Im going to look at it on tues and prob picking up wed or thur.

And also what is your opinion on plowing with a 1500.
    What should i do if anything to plow with it?
    Do i need to use 4x4 when plowing?

The reason im asking is im new to 1/2 ton plowing so i would like to no the "dealio"

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Plowing with a half ton is like plowing with a 3/4 ton. Put it in gear, and step on it. 4wd as needed. That's a great truck, get it yesterday. Hopefully the EFI is still in it.

8. ATV Plow King

Yea. And therea nothing i need to worry about with it (im a ford guy)
    Ballest? Prob putting on a tailgate spreader
    Any other stuff i should look for when checking it out?

-Bill

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Those old trucks are pretty stout anyhow, and under rated IMHO. Should make one beast of a first plow truck for ya!

10. ATV Plow King

Nice to hear that itll hold up.

(PS Check My SIG)

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't go crazy with the weight, it's probably just a 10 bolt rear. Tailgate unit should be just fine. I would put some 235/85/16 or 33/9.50 studded snows on that thing. It will rock.

I can't think of any "common issues" these trucks had except maybe frame cracking under the steering box with hard use and maybe front shock mounts on the frame. As far as checking it out, make sure everything works - 4x4, low range, etc. Wipers, heater/defrost, windows go all the way up and down easily. Hopefully it has manual hubs, if not you will want to add them. Check the brake, tranny, and fuel lines for rust. Look for broken leaf springs, and check the shock mounts. Probably plan on new parking brake cables. I would add a good sized tranny cooler. You will want to keep the 700R4 as cool as possible.

Put up some pics if you get it!

12. ATV Plow King

If I get it pics will be up withen an hr of purchasing!!!!! Promised.

When i talked to the guy today he said it was Black, Had a good strong engine, Good frame and little rust under wheel wells, and the int was a little ruff.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

For what you're paying, you can't be too picky. Put a few bucks in it and you will have a nice truck. LMC.com is a good source for parts, along with Craigslist if you've got that kind of time. It's probably a base model with the 305, but if it has a carpet, rip it out. Those rockers/floor boards go to fast enough as it is. All kinds of patch / repair panels available for the body too.

14. ATV Plow King

Nice, I'm expecting to do a little metal fabrication on it which wont be an issue.

Also what spreader (used or new) Would you recomend foe 500-1000?

PS thanks for all the help/info!!

-Bill

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have a tailgate spreader, probably ought to do some searching. What I know is this. If you want to spread sand, get a two stage like the Fisher Speedcaster2. Salt only I guess you can use any of them. I have a friend with a Meyer tailgate single stage. He said it works OK if the salt is nice and dry. They ended up putting a vibrator in which I guess helped some.

Also, I think Airflow makes a very small v box. I guess they work well, but it would be very easy and temping to bale the sand to it and overload that little 10 bolt. I would stick with a tailgate unit.

16. ATV Plow King

Yea i was think about getting the new tornado for my f250 and getting western or buyers tailgate for this one. And iv only ever used salt so wats the difference and pros and cons on salt and sand

-Bill

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Kind of depends on what the norm is for your area. Benefits of sand are that it's cheaper, and you/the customer can see it on the white snow. Sand spreads best when it's nice and dry. If you have a tractor, now is a good time to put some under cover and let it get nice and dry. Mix in a little salt in the fall and you are good to go. Salt is good, but it's best applied before, after, and sometimes during the storm. I like to use salt. A little goes a long way which is nice, but it is expensive. And my schools are just as happy to see the sand. Once in a while they will call. If I know it's going to warm right up, I just drive through slowly with the strobes on LOL.

Hey, I'm signing off soon. Have a good night.

18. ATV Plow King

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, that looks like a nice unit. I wish we had an Airflow dealer around here.

20. ATV Plow King

Yea i does look nice its prob 1500+ tho but what ya gonna do.