1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PRice and quote options

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by firelwn82, Sep 22, 2009.

1. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

This is a church about 4 miles from my yard. Not to big pretty much straight forward easy push. Just plowing and salting, the maint. guy does the walks and salts them as well.
    I was thinking $170-250 range to push and about $200 for salt??? Am I in the range or no???

Thanks in advance
    Here is a link. For some reason I cant upload the map photo

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Need more info. How many sq' is this? I came up with about 72K sq'. How much salt are you going to put down each time. How long are you figuring it will take to plow each time?
  3. firelwn82

I have an 810 Blizzard So I'm estimating about 1.5 hrs push and salt it. I would guess about 9 80#bags of salt with a TG spreader.
  4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would say your #'s look good. Not sure of the going rate in your area but I would look for at least 200 per push on this.
  5. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

I would suggest maybe around 250.00 to plow each time and make sure you charge enough for salting. The salt is getting expensive. My company did a church last year about double the size of that lot and charge 600.00
    Make sure you charge enough !!!
  6. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I'm sure competition is just around the corner to lowball anyways.
    I would agree $200-250, salt usage: 750 lbs.; unsure of your salt costs though...
  7. ice-eater

ice-eater Junior Member

Anything 1.5 hours should take about 6 x 80 pounds, or 9 x 50 lbs = 450-480 pounds to cover. (Our formula is 6-50's or 4-80 per hour worth of plowing as an average applied amount.) If the salt price matches my lot price average for a 3" run, or even comes close or a little more, then personally, I think it's dead on fair. Which you seem to be close to, while trying to get 110-125 per truck hour including drive time maybe?? Which maybe a little high to guarantee being competitive, but not by much IMO.

It always depends on the consistency, and depth of the snow too. Deep and wet, light and fluffy, or hard and packed. (Forget about it... just don't ever let that happen!) And of course whether there are cars left in your way. If you are fast, you might be able to do it in 1.5 hours. But if not, it's really a 2 hr push adding just adding about 10 minutes drive time. And that to me would mean a bump from my previous estimate to now right about where your numbers are at.

On our contract, that would be about 180-220 per 1-5" push if it's an hour and a half. And an estimated average of 9-50 pound bags of fine crystal grade salt at 22.50 each, with maybe an average of a quarter to a half bag of calcium mixed in for those nights/days when the temps are below 20 for good measure.

But if it is a 2 hour job, (figure one acre or 44,000 sq. ft. per hour cleared once there per good driver), resulting in 225-265 and an ESTIMATED 'salt/cc' cost by the formula per bag used, 270-290 for salt straight, or mixed w/CC as needed.

Does anyone have a good guess at what most experienced companies are now charging this year per bag? (2009-2010) In 50's or in 80's??

We just raised our 2-yr contract 50lb. delivered and spread bagged salt price from $20 to $22.50 per bag because of what has happened to the supply lines and the prices the last two seasons, and of course becasue of the fear of the expected results of them doubling the US$ supply!

Look out brothers.. Here comes hyperinflation some time down the road! We just don't know how fast it's coming at us, or how far it will carry us yet!
  8. firelwn82

I should have known this would get takin out of context. I posted this in my area forum also, i'm in range of everyone. I'm not a low-baller. I have a very good pretty well known and very by the book company. It was a general question.... Oh well should of known better is all I have to say..... Mediator please delete this thread Thank you