1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Previous plow truck.... What to look for?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by musclecarboy, Sep 25, 2007.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Hello everyone,
    I thing I've settled on a cheaper truck to start with plowing. My original plan was to get something that would be my truck for 3-5 years but I don't want to stretch the finances that much.

I've come across this truck on autotrader.ca and was wondering what to look out for with a truck that HAS ALREADY PLOWED. Are there any glaring things I should look for? Any small problems that could develop into big issues once i start plowing?

Ad web address: http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details...bcategory=203&CAT=2&ADID=6435158&ADS=6435158|

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

Oil Pan!!!!!!
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

might be asking about $2-3k too much for this truck. the plow adds no value to the truck IMO. the extra wear and tear on the truck and the value of the plow makes it a wash.
  4. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

jay might be right. i just bought a 97 f 350 xlt powerstroke thats pretty darn clean and has never plowed for $8000. Look at the oil pan, and also the radiator support, they rust out pretty bad and can cost around 900 bucks to fix. go up in the front wheel well and try to jam your finger through the support, if it goes through, be prepared to fix it soon. Also , the typical stuff - wheel wells, bottoms of doors, bottom of tailgate, especially if it has a bedliner. Lastly, the trannys go on the diesels from those years. make sure it doesnt slip, especially since its plowed, and ask if its ever been replaced or rebuilt. Good luck!! - Nick
  5. musclecarboy

OK thanks guys.

I want to buy a truck in the US because of the $$ savings if something comes available. Where is the best place to search US classifieds?
  6. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

that seems a bit high for and 95 . have you looked at the frame and and body in closely ? my guess who be cragslist or ebay or autotrader for best searchs . how far are willing to travel just asking
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would recommend you stay away from old plow trucks. Take it from someone that didn't listen to Dad. They can be real parts and repair black holes.
    My truck recieved the name "The Big Red Drain" for a reason!
    I can see from the picture that it's right on the edge of major rust outs on the body and maybe even the cab floor.
  8. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I hope to gaaad you dont pay $8,300 for that truck or anything near it.
  9. musclecarboy

I would have offered $5k.

I'm really willing to buy a truck form anywhere.... makes no difference to me.
  10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

how much are you looking to spend?
  11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

What is it with people trying to sell the line of absolute BULL (this isn't the first time we've seen ads like this): "8` Fisher MinuteMount plow, used 1 winter." I think there's a '0' missing from that "1 winter." The same dirtbag would try to say he spent $3500 on the plow back in '95, so he wants 3450 + the cost of the truck. I hope you moved on to a different truck

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Dido, also the truck itself doesnt look all that bad from the pic. but I would say that plow is pretty old and IMO only worth about 500-750.00. If it were me I would offer him maybe around 6000.00-6800.00 if everything works and it is solid.