1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Preventive Maintenance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Santo, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Santo

Santo Banned

Has anyone replaced springs, eye bolts ,rams, seals ,pins,bulbs ,juices and other goodies . Wiperblades , sneakers,hoses and valves. Broken Wings

Come on lets go ......Lets Ride.

WHO"S READY BESIDES S A N T O ?

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'm ready, I guess. Although if it snowed tonight, I'd probably a brick, I'm kinda liking this last harrah of 70°+ days, its letting me get those last projects wrapped up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2003
  3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

went over everything
    tighten plow mount
    painted plow
    replaced battery in truck with gel battery
    go new boots, long johns etc

now we just need snow

cardoctor

4. Santo

Santo Banned

What the heel is a gel battery???
    You gotta keep me up on this
    Would that be an OPTIMA?

5. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

too early !!

Its to early to get ready , bad luck , I am not saying wait for the first flakes , but too soon means something will let go LOL

6. CARDOCTOR

optima is one of the brands of gel batteries

they dont freeze
    their maint. free
    they even work upside down
    and they put out alot of amps

cardoctor

7. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Bought new truck
    bought new plow
    bought new strobes
    bought used back-up truck
    bought used plow

Let it snow!!

Ray:D

8. LocalTouch

LocalTouch Junior Member
    from Ohio

Changed all hyraulic fluids, all 3 trucks. Replaced worn, pitted angle rams. Welded any cracks. Replaced some wiring. Oil changed. Trans fluid changed. Antifreeze on 1 truck. Brakes on 2 trucks. Bought plow wings-need to install. Still some touch up painting, and install new Meyer sticker to 8.5 poly. Only thing left is to find a under tailgate spreader for dump. Then ready to roll!!!!

9. CARDOCTOR

where did you get the decal kit

just bought a used c-8

cardoctor

10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Does an oil change count - lol

Gonna start on the trucks next week. When you have alot of trucks, you kind of put it off, due to the large amount of work ahead of you.

Chuck B.

11. Jake00

Jake00 Junior Member
    from Maine

Cutting Edge Question

I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon removing the cutting edge from my 8' fisher plow.

3 bolts came right out, all but one of the rest broke off. But the last one was a real ba$tard to get of. I broke a $30 nut splitter on it, and finally (after much looking) found my 2 pound hammer and cold chisel ... and got it that way. No workshop here ... true part-time snowplower. A cutting torch would have helped a whole lot ...

Anyway, the bottom edge of the plow itself was beginning to curl out, and push the cutting edge away. That has been keeping the egde from touching the ground before the rest of the blade, and therefore not doing a clean job.

My question is this ... the cutting edge is well broken in, but not totally worn out yet. What are the pros and cons of putting the edge back on with the inside facing out. It will reverse the angle of the bottom edge from being parallel to the ground to being perpendicular ...

Thanks,

--Jim

:help:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2003