1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Preventitive measures for E47

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by KSlandscaper, Jan 27, 2006.

1. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

As of tonight I finally have the used Meyers plow I bought working. Intially when I installed it, it would only angle in one direction and not lift the plow.

Not wanting problems in the future, I bought new A, B, and C coils and valves. I Installed them tonight and magically everything works as it should.

The guy I bought the plow from said he had replaced the motor with a genuine Meyers motor (this is a E47 unit) a few months back. I also changed the hydraulic oil today as well and replaced the motor solenoid. Is there anything else I should do to help offset future problems??

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Check your electrical connections (clean and tight w/dielectric grease) check hoses and couplers for any cracks in hoses and proper routing and fit, and good luck making money. payup

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

did you change the filters 2 ?

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Always keep a spare set of hoses/swivels/fluid. An easy out also just in case the swivel snaps at the piston. Had that happen.

5. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Find out the history of the power unit.

How long and how much has it been used? Last time serviced?

Did you flush the whole system before replacing the fluids?

When you drained the fluids, what did they look like?

Condition of lift and angling rams? Pits? Rust? What does the wiper look like?

When we receive pumps that are "supposedly" rebuilt we still tear them down and replace all the rings and seals. You would be suprised at what we find.

Just because it has new paint and stickers doesn't mean it's good to go.

Like was said before...did you clen the filters?

You replaced coils and valves that probably did not need to be replaced. No big deal. Go on-line to Meyer.com and get the manual for your pump. Lots of info.

Run into a problem...post it. Lot of people here smarter than me. Fact is, most of these guys taught me.

Just ask.

6. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

I do not know the age of the unit. I bought it used from a guy which bought it used from someone else. He told me he 'rebuilt' the unit (more on that later). He said be bought the plow thinking he could earn some extra money. Well...he said he didn't use it but a couple days over the past two years. He bought the EZ-mount loop and mount to replace the older fixed style and also bought new plow lights. So with that said along with the meyer black/blue lightning bolt decal on the pump unit, I'll assume this is an older unit.

As I said before, when I installed it, only one side of the plow would angle. So obviously with the guys 'lack of use of the plow,' his rebuild job was quite crappy. I'm assuming when he said rebuild he meant he only replaced the seals and that was it....oh yeah, he said he replaced one of the coils (couldn't remember which) with a used one.

So anyhow, I didn't really want to deal with too much crap, now and in the future, so I just bought all new A, B, C valves and coils to replace the ancient ones on the unit. (I did save the old ones to clean later and keep as back up parts, 2 of the coils where still good, the A coil wasn't) I didn't have a socket big and long enough to remove the A valve...so I just replaced the A coil and luckily enough the valve still works. I'll have to buy a socket to fit soon.

Yes I did replace one filter but cleaned the other. Stupid me only ordered one filter and not two....for whatever reason....brain fart I guess. I didn't really flush the oil out all too well, I just let it drain out. Most of it was still clean and blue, but there was some dirtier looking oil which came out..?? The e47 unit wasnt repainted, but I plan to repaint it myself at a later date.

The lift ram appears to be in good condition, but the angling cylinders are CRAP. I have already ordered two new Meyer cylinders to replace those rust infested/pitted ones. (probably will keep them as back up parts as well) I am also replacing both hoses as well as the quick release couplers. I will still have 2 new hose spares on hand.

Sometime later this year I will be re-painting the plow. At that time I will be replacing the pivot pins and will install grease zerks onto the plow as well. The plow will also get new springs and bolts. As you can tell I think this plow would fall apart at any given moment with its current condition. :eek:

With all this said, the whole plow setup, after reconditioning, should still have only cost me no more than $1300.

Sometime this year I hope to purchase a e-60 unit and keep this e47 unit as a spare.....so I'm not neccessary thinking I need the e47 to stand up to day-in, day-out use all winter long. Besides, it barely seems to snow in Kansas anymore. :(

Oh yes...almost forgot, I did also buy that manual you where talking about.

I might get a chance to take and post a pic later on....well see.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Trash the blue fluid and put real meyers fliuid in it. also did you change the fluid in the angle rams? Flushing the whole system with a couple quarts of Meyer's Hydra flush is always a good idea.

8. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

meyer flush?

I just bought a meyer setup. How do you do the flush on the 47? How do you drain and flush the angle cylinders? Never had to mess with this stuff on my northman plow. I run R+O hydraulic fluid in the northman with no problems. Can this be used in meyer 47 pumps? Why do you recommend the meyer fluid? At $5 a quart is it really that good, whats so different about it? Help me out here guys to understand ok. Never been a meyer lover, but found a great dealer down the road that will take the time to help out. Cant find norhman dealer in ohio anymore.
    http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14887&d=1138495001
    http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9470&d=1107999693

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Download instructions from the meyer page, see link at top of page. As for the pros and cons of fluids check this link http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=32638
    Trucks, Plows, or Boats, a good dealer makes all the differance

10. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

I went to the meyer site and looked on their site map for the flush of unit. They talk about to do the flush, but couldnt find anything on how to flush pump and angle cylinders. Could you lead me to the snow pile, please.

11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Any used unit without known history needs to have the sump inspected. Remove the top cap(that ram extends through) and look at sump. If there is any sludge in sump then I recommend disassembling pump cleaning and putting a seal kit in it.

The complete manual can be downloaded from the Meyer site or purchased from many places including Central Parts Warehouse(link at top of page)...