1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Preventing rust....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by eggy, May 30, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy Member

Well this is kinda in connection with my last thread, older trucks, just wondering what steps you guys take to help prevent rust on your older trucks, that 78 I am looking at is rust free as of now, and if purhased my goal would be to keep it that way for many years, however this truck will be out in harsh weather of course. :rolleyes:
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

First off, touch up any paint as required now, including underneath in areas like the wheelwells. Then, see that the truck gets an application of a good rustproofing treatment (around here Krown Rust Control seems to have a fairly good rep, not sure what names are used in your area) now & then each year after the spring touchup - keep it oiled up good!

Wash the truck frequently - not only does it look better (for a short time, anyway) but it keeps the salt off your finish.

As for the pickup box, don't know - got rid of the one on mine l-o-n-g time ago! (Replaced it with a deck that AIN'T gonna rust out, and also adds plenty of weight for traction. Typical welder: Can't build anything light! ;) ) Same approach applies, obviously leaving wet leaves, dirt etc lying in there is going to accelerate the rot process, as will bags of salt/salt spillage (if you use a spreader). Keep it cleaned out is your best bet, along with the rustproofing.

Also, try to avoid having the truck in & out of a heated shop/garage all the time. Obviously, if you're working on it that's a different matter, but better to keep it parked outside & plugged in rather than inside the heated shop overnight. The cold/warm cycle creates additional moisture in the form of condensation & seems to get the 'ol salt working overtime!

And, minor paint chips/dings are a fact of life. Fix 'em as you find 'em - those chips & dings are all places where rust can gain a foothold.

One nice thing about a '78 Chevy is that fenders & doors are readily available & easily replaceable - so even if the rusties do gain a foothold eventually :mad: (or a fender/door gets damaged :( ) it's not a big deal to fix.
  3. eggy

eggy Member

Thanks for spending the time on your post!Your Info is very helpful!
  4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Eggy - you're welcome! Info is there to be shared (well, most info - you 'ain't gettin' my credit card #'s though! ;) )

One other idea that comes to mind as well: Mudflaps. The less slop spraying from the wheels all over the truck, the less stone chips/salt encrustation.

I made my own front mudflaps from belting - they cover a lot more area than the regular ones sold for pickups. Plus I added a stainless steel flap weight on the bottom to extend them down a little further. (Use stainless steel hardware when you install them too - the same stainless steel screws I used to put the flaps on back around '92 or so still clean up like new! If I'd used steel ones, well..........) BTW, I've had my truck buried a few times due to "operator error" and I haven't torn a flap off yet.

Going a little further with the stainless concept (Chuck, honest I'm not plagiarizing your idea with the stainless hardware - I've been using it for YEARS! ;) ) replace the steel rustable fasteners with stainless wherever you can. Headlight trim screws come to mind, as well as licence plate fasteners, door sill plate screws (the ones that turn into blobs of rust so you can't unscrew them anyway!) and anything you add to the truck - like mudflap weights, grab handles, box rails etc...........)

Stainless hardware is quite readily available in my area, so I'd imagine it is in yours as well.
    Last edited: May 31, 2001