1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Preventative treatment in the UK

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by William Brett, May 8, 2010.

1. William Brett

William Brett Member

Hi hope I have this in the right forum.
    Am a landscaper in the UK, did a bit of gritting last winter and am looking to get into it on a reasonable scale this year, on a pre treat basis. Thinking about using liquid, but this presents a problem. Getting hold of a liquid treatment is like getting hold of hens teeth over here. So was thinking of making my own brine so have been experimenting. Just not sure if the results I am getting are what you guys would expect. Basicly i mixed up a gallon batch using 2.3lbs of salt which ended up giving me a specific gravity of 32, no fall out. then bunged a bottle of it in the frezer to see what happened, it didnt freeze but went slushy is this to be expected. Am going to try adding some calcium chloride when i can get hold of some but seem to be havin a job even trying to get hold of that.

The last thing I want is to go out and spay and end up with an ice rink.

An suggestions would be great.:help:

Cheers in advance
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite William. I dont have the answers your looking for but someone here does for sure. Try hitting search in the top right corner and chances are your question may already been answered. Good luck.
  3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

4. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Eventually anything they put down on the roads can freeze. I don't know what the UK weather is like in your area, is it mostly the freezing rain/sleet kind of storms, or is it also snow?

Salt and other anti-ice chemicals work great for the freezing rain events, and most of the time eliminate any ice on the ground throughout the whole storm if it's not too cold.

With snow, usually the salt and anti-ice methods are used before or at the beginning of a storm to keep the snow from packing down on the surface. It's easier to clean up the snow off of roads, driveways, sidewalks, etc.
  5. William Brett

William Brett Member

Cheers guys for your help so far, had already seen most of those links. Was just a bit concerned that when I put some in the freezer it went slushy is that to be expected?

As for the weather over here not normally less than -5 degrees c mainly we get rain and then snow once it gets cold enough.
  6. and678f

and678f Junior Member

Hi check out, anglofin.co.uk
    They are working on liquid systems at the moment they will be able to help you
  7. William Brett

William Brett Member

8. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Should not go slushy. I have had my 23.3% mix set out side at -7F and no slushy effect. When I spray it when surface temp is below 15 F I mix in 10% by volume calcium chloride 32% solution and never a problem. Only when the snow has a high moisture content, it doesn't work as well or as quick.
  9. William Brett

William Brett Member

Have had another go checking the calcs now definately not slushy down to -16C thats as low as the freezer goes. Just been asked to price up for a big contract so shall see how it all goes.