1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Preventative Maintenance? Naw!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RadHog, Jan 1, 2006.

1. RadHog

RadHog Junior Member

Whoe needs to do maintenance! I had a torn front cv axle boot on the front of my truck this last summer... Did I replace it for the $100 it would have cost me? NO! I was plowing the other night, got hung up so threw it into 4x4 and cranked the wheel to the left and all of the sudden clunk clunk clunk....... Took it outta four and it was fine, got me home.... jumped under truck and took a look and WOW! That hundred bucks would have been CHEAP! The cv axle actually froze, from the torn boot allowing weather into it.....The axle cv axle froze causing the front drive shaft to TEAR into Two pieces. Couldnt believe what I was seeing.. Ive seen semi's tear shafts but not a pickup. It didnt snap it actually TORE! So lo and behold I got to replace the cv axle front upper ball joints and a front drive shaft that ISNT cheap... Rebuilt shafts run up over $300! Spent well over $500 for the job! So anyways guess next time Ill fix something right away instead of being a Cheap a**!!!!!!!!
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Good that you learned your lesson.

Torn CV boots need to be replaced ASAP or the axle joint will fail. As they spin the grease gets thrown out and water gets in, leading to a total lack of lubrication fairly quickly. We all know what that means.

CV grease is surprisingly tough stuff though, hard to get off your hands if you get it on. Smells funky too.

Did one on my LeSabre T-Type a few years ago (same as yours just a little smaller). I remember the boot cost $17Cdn. and came with the proper lube. It was like a 2hr job in the driveway.
  3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

You put a brand new plow on a old truck but didn't want to spend a lousy $100 on a new CV joint boot :dizzy: .I see you do sealcoating your not one of those cheapo guys that was found adding his own s**t :eek: to the sealcoating mix? When they arrested that guy he was driving around in a new suburban LMAO
  4. RadHog

RadHog Junior Member

not too cheap just kinda sidetracked....was a busy year and kinda got put off... live and learn.......
  5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Any time I find a bad boot I automatically schedule a half shaft replacement. Haft shafts run less than 100.00 around here, If I knew that the boot had just tore, but I have to assume that there is already dirt and moisture damage.

I have never found a bad CV joint without a torn boot.