1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Preventative care on Dodge 2500 Hemi

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by weasel11, Dec 4, 2011.

1. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

I have a 2007 Dodge 2500 Heavy Duty 5.7L Hemi and was going to set it up with a Meyer Super V 8'6" plow.
    What should I do to this truck to help reduce wear and tear on everything or to reduce the chances of doing damage to it because of lack of knowledge on Dodge Trucks. It is currently in perfect shape. No a single issue.

Cooling system
    Rear end
    4x4 system

Also, how should the Dodge compare to my Ford's & Chevy's in 4WD mode?....

All comments can be sent PM to me if you choose....going to do the set up and service this week
  2. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Any suggestions about a Dodge maintenance?
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What would be the difference than from GM or Ford? Maintenance is pretty much universal.
  4. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

do not buy a meyers plow that will save you alot of repairs on the plow end. get a western or a boss or a fisher
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Like stated, maintenance is universal. Keep the fluids new and clean, spray the underside of the truck with fluid film or your choice of oil. Keep her clean after storms and it'll keep working hard for years.

I never worried about something going wrong in my 04 2500 when I'd set out for a storm, it was a reliable rig.

As for the 4x4, there is a switched version and a lever on the floor version. On the floor is most reliable but I never had a problem with any trucks that used the electric switch. Dodge doesn't use vacum to actuate the front axle anymore so its pretty bulletproof in that aspect.

Engine and tranny are solid, shouldn't give you trouble.

The front end will go through ball joints, u joints, and bearings/hubs. The ujoints and hubs/bearings are sealed and non greaseable. The ball joints are basically too small for the truck. Carli ball joints, spicer ujoints, and timken bearings are the best route. XRF, Moog, Dynatech also make some very nice ball joints that are cheaper than Carli's.