1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prevent turf damage?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by EPS, Nov 14, 2007.

1. EPS

EPS Member

How can I minimize turf damage when stacking snow the first couple plows this year. It is my first year and dont want to be ripping chunks of sod out of peoples lawns.
  2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Normally i just bump the plow blade up a few inches before i hit the grass then keep on going till my tires are right at the grass line.
  3. EPS

EPS Member

Thanks for the suggestion anything helps. I'm real nervous about ripping up lawns.
  4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Even if you do cause a little damage, it does not cost much to throw down some dirt and seed in the spring. Just take your time, theres no rush
  5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

News flash!!

No matter what you do or how careful you think you are, You WILL damage a yard or to.

Just live with. You need to factor it into your bids. So in the spring when you need to do turf repairs you'll be getting paid for it.

6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah plowing driveways takes alot of finesse, one good way is picking up the blade a few inches. Also you can put plow markers on the edge of the driveway to know where it ends. Just take your time and be careful!
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Wait till that first plow and that front tire sinks into the lawn! You'll learn real quick!:D
  8. EPS

EPS Member

Thanks grandview I cant wait to repair lawns in the spring lol
  9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

use a marker to locate lawn at push zone, bump blade up at edge and push till tires get to marker.

once ground is frozen then you can push pile back but still good idea to bump blade up a bit.
  10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

this is something i need to work on too. i figure my tires are spinning and specs of mud go on my windshield, or the pile im pushing is brown and green instead of white i might have hurt the lawn. what to do though? have to push the snow back so you cant just keep the truck on the tar the whole time. just bump up the blade a couple inches and hope for the best?.