1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prevailing Wage

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Philbilly2, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Do any of you guys that run municipal ralley routes have to deal with this.

I have been seeing it on bid packets for schools and municipal work that you need to pay prevailing wage. How does that pertain to snow removal. Is there a snow removal prevailing wage? I have plowed for companys that have done school or municipal work, I have never heard mention of being paid prevailing wage.

What is the deal?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. Philbilly2

yeah, I found that info, now here is my question.

If I pay a subcontractor $65 an hour, to run his own truck, does that cover his $35ish dollar an hour "truck driver wage"? I know you are going to say it does not matter because he is a subcontrator so he is not an employee so he gets 1099ed.

If so, then do I just pay myself the $65 an hour and my guy his usual $20 an hour for running one of my trucks, If the person that is driving one of my trucks is not a W-2 employee and I just 1099 them as a subcontractor to drive my truck, am I getting around it?

This is what I don't understand.
  4. grandview

This in many threads, if he's using your stuff he's more then likely an employee.
  5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Every state has different rules, call your state department of labor and check with them. In some states you have to pay the rate only if your contract is worth over a set dollar amount. They will have a nice size packet of information for you. I work Prevailing Wage at my 9-5 job all the time. it can be confusing even for the company I work for and we are 1,300 men strong. Keep up on it as the rate changes many times per year and if you dont catch onto it the unions will hang you. look at my sig line lol
  6. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Good luck Philbilly!
  8. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

When I was an owner operator on rated jobs I had to show that I paid myself the rate....
    I actually had a separate bank account so there wouldn't be any confusion per my accountant..
    You , your employees,subs can be audited anytime on rated jobs , it happens often as I was....
  9. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

here is the next question do you go with an operators (local 150 at 50ish an hr) hourly pay rate or teamsters (30ish)
  10. mulcahy mowing

It depends on what equipment they are running, MA breaks it down by machine class. I may even have the sheet at work ill see if I can track it down, scan it in and post it.
  11. Philbilly2

So I am supose to pay a guy that is driving my plow truck, using my insurance, my fuel $30 some dollars an hour??? I don't think so. That ain't happening.

Ok so do you just fib the hours so instead of 3 hours at $20 an hour you change the certified payroll sheet to say that he only worked for 2 hours at $30?
  12. grandview

Maybe wrong but he has to pay his employees a the prevailing rate not hire union workers to do the job.
  13. Philbilly2

Grand you are correct.

In my area, it is more or less the on the check dollar - prevailing wage is within a dollar or so of our union wages. Difference is all the benifits packages.

How about this question. Why are municipal employees that work for one of the citys that I want to plow in not in an organized union. One of the my buddys that drives a tandem dump to plow snow for the city, who works for the streets department, only getting $22.08 an hour?

Why do I have to pay somone prevailing wage to run a pickup truck, but the municipality does not have to pay him prevailing wage to run a tandem?

Lots of stuff that I do not understand here and I am hoping that someone has dealt with it to give me an idea of what I am getting into.
  14. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Phil its the gooberment, they make the rules, they get to do what they want.

I'm sure they spin it to claim they are being fiscally responsible with the tax payer money only paying the guy $22.
  15. Rotator911

Rotator911 Junior Member

If its like NY you have a fringe benefit that has too be payed on top of the prevailing.Albany rate for teamster is $25.87+$16.45=$42.32/hr
  16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  17. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

18. mulcahy mowing

Read that...not only do you have to pay them the $30 an hour you also have to have certified payroll with the city that writes the checks.

I know nothing about IL but here in Boston if you don't pay the rate not only will you lose everything but 100 union workers will show up at your house picket you the next day.
  19. grandview

Do they take a coffee break during this?
  20. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I'm pretty sure everyone deserves a break, whether union or not.. whether a prevailing wage job or not.