1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pretty happy with the new Boss VXT ... a little lenghty.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mopard, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Well I wasn't sure at first, about this new V plow, as I've used a straight blade and joystick for the past decade but after 50 or 60 hours use I am really starting to appreciate the versatility of this Boss VXT. Each time I use it I am only more impressed.
    The chainless lift is real nice in many ways but one problem with it is the limited travel ... say when cresting a hill with an abrupt drop. The blade will not drop far enough to stay on the ground so there is going to be a big buildup of hardpack there that will definitely cause a problem at each thaw. Other than that, I love it. No more blade bouncing around when you accidentally hit the frost heaves in the road that weren't there last week ... a lot of that on the back roads I travel.
    I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to travel everywhere I need to in full V as I travel some pretty rough terrain but I have zero problems with the tips of the blade edge bottoming out. I have about 8" of clearance at the tips in full V when fully raised but they are so close to the wheels that I can travel much rougher terrain, without catching anything, than I first thought. Travelling on the hwy in full V is a lot easier on everything ... I can really feel the difference in how much less the truck has to work. It blew my mind the first time I walked through about 3+ feet of heavy snow (that had been shoveled off a roof) with the poly blade in full V ... no matter what position the blade is in or what type of snow you are pushing, the Dodge Cummins powers through it effortlessly as if nothing was there ... unbelievable. And the VXT throws snow like you wouldn't believe compared to the 29" flat top moldboard on the Curtis I use to run. I've cut my time in half, probably more, on the mile long narrow roadways that I do ... truly incredible. It's not only the time savings ... more surprising is how much easier the truck walks through the snow. I use to have to push the Cummins to break trail but I actually had to use the breaks going down the hills with the VXT ... didn't even have to break a sweat. I swear I heard the drivetrain give off a big sigh of relief after the first pass.
    Stacking in scoop is ... well ... you'd have to experience it to believe it. Already I've had clients ask me if I had a loader in to push back the snow. It stacks like crazy once you get your timing right.
    The Smart Locks work real well and are mandatory imo ... they should come standard and I'd never buy a Boss without them. I miss being able to angle the blade while back-dragging but you'd need dual acting cylinders for that. I'd still much rather have dual acting cylinders but I'll get by without them. I'm sure Boss will join the club here soon.
    The full moldboard trip ... I'm not too sure yet though I've had no real problems yet as I am very familiar with my route and everything is set. I'm waiting for the inevitable trip in V or scoop that tries to through me through the windshield. The blade definitely trips far too easily in straight mode when rolling into the banks ... for my liking and what I'm use to. And you have to be real careful when stacking and the blade is prematurely stopped by the hard banks ... when you back up to release the pressure the blade will just fly up to the fully raised position all by itself ... and I mean fly! It scared the crap out of me the first time it did this as I've never seen any plow do this before, lol. There should be some kind of relief valve that eliminates the lift pressure when it won't lift anymore so it doesn't do this but all you have to do is remember to toggle the lower switch before you slowly back from the pile.
    We had about a foot of snow fall with some slush underneath then the temp dropped to about -25C ... perfect conditions for snow sticking to the blade but the poly shed the slush amazingly. I was pleasantly surprised how well the poly kept the wet snow from instantly freezing and sticking. No more 500 lb frozen, rounded lumps of hardpack to remove from the blade continuously. Makes me wonder why I never added a poly skin to the steel moldboard years ago. Very impressive.
    The Boss pump seems a little louder/noisier than the Curtis pump and does not seem to have quite the same power under a heavy load though it is a little faster. I used a Curtis for about 10 years and I know firsthand that they make a quality and durable product ... I hope I have the same luck with my first Boss. It certainly seems like a well built unit overall so far. The Dodge handles this 9'2" VXT beautifully with my setup and right now I couldn't be happier though I seem to be even more impressed each time I put it to work. Boss customer service has been incredible so far too ... I didn't expect much from them when I brought the trip springs binding to thier attention but they very quickly fabbed up a modified spring yoke and pin and shipped it to my dealer where they immediately installed it and I was on my way. Very impressive once again. I can't wait until we get another 3 feet of snow dumped overnight so I can truly put this thing to the test. I am pretty confident it will chew it up and spit it out even better than I expect. Boss has certainly done a great job on this VXT. I only ended up with this plow because of a glitch with my first choice but I'm now feeling I was very lucky with the way it worked out. Funny how that happens ocasionally eh!
    Here's a couple pics of the new plow.

2. Very nice setup. Get some action shots as well when you get a chance.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like a really nice truck and blade. I don't think you'll see Boss going to double acting cylinders. The Boss is a very simple and proven design their hydraulics are second to none for reliability and speed. Good Luck with it.
  4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I want that truck! Beautiful set-up!
  5. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

Nice write-up. Beautiful plow/truck!

I agree with the stacking, although I dont have a VXT... I just put a Snoway V on my truck and plowed with it for the first time yesterday and was very impressed by being able to easily stack higher than the truck. Only used the plow for one day and already love it a lot more than the old Meyer straight blade's I've had over the years.

Curious as to what your first choice in plow was??
  6. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Nice setup! Im on my second winter with my 8.2 V.... I love it...

Only thing I see, are you planning on a deflector? I think it would be well worth the investment on a mile long road?
  7. tom5301

tom5301 Member

Any problems with the dodge speacialy the transmission
  8. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Thanks guys,
    Yeah I need to get some good action pics & vids. I enjoy seeing them too actually. Plow for 12 - 15 hrs then play around on plow sites eh, lol :dizzy: We normally get some pretty good snowfall around here so I should be able to get some good shots of the 'ole girl in action ... just need to find someone willing.
    As far as Boss offering dual acting cylinders, you may be right Dave though I guess it may depend on what the consumer desires/demands in the end. I thought that the spring return design would be more cumbersome than it actually is. The Smart Locks make a huge difference and work better than I expected. It back drags well, I'd say a little better even than the straights I've always used, I only miss being able to angle the blade while doing so ... but I'll adjust. Being able to put the wings in a slight V position to contain the snow is very efficient. One thing I noticed too, the Smart Locks seem to have a "memory", meaning that when the relief valves are tripped and the wing(s) do fold forward due to too much pressure, once the pressure is released the wing(s) will return to the original position you had them in ... pretty cool. Yes, fewer parts to maintain (KISS) is always a good thing as long as the trade off is acceptable.
    Yeah, I've got a bunch of buds that use Vs and they've always raved about their stacking ability but I was truly amazed just how well this thing actually does stack. In scoop it just keeps rolling the snow up and up and once you get a handle on the timing it is real smooth. The direct lift doesn't "top out" with a clunk like the chain lift does. The process is a bit different than the Curtis straight I've always used ... the Boss seems to require more precise timing, if you know what I mean. The moldboard trips so much easier than what I'm use to that if I try to take too much it will just fold over and stop dead ... then watch out, lol. I wish there was a way to make the trip action a little stiffer.
    I had originally put my money down on a new Meyer Super V2 - 9'6" (better deal $, trip edge, dual acting cylinders, chain lift, etc) but the deal fell through when I finally got to see it in person and realised it had no height adjustability whatsoever, there where clearance issues and it was A LOT heavier than I was lead to believe. That said, the Super V2 is a wicked looking plow that appears to be well built and very durable ... it just wasn't going to work for me and my truck. Time will tell but perhaps a blessing in disguise.
    Yes, I may add a deflector. I never really needed one before with the 29" tall straight blades with the collectors but I've already seen how one could be benificial on this VXT. This thing definitely throws the light fluffy stuff around more and the wipers, even on high speed, are no match for the amt of snow that ends up on the windshield. Having never used a deflector, I'll bet it's one of those things where you kick yourself for not doing it sooner :nod:
    I was a Chevy truck guy all my life and people were stumped when I bought a Ram but the new Chevys just don't do anything for me. All it took was a test drive in a Ram ... something I had never even considered before. The Dodge has been rock solid and she's been plowing hard since day 1 ... I can't describe how much I love this truck, lol. I drove it straight from the dealer to have an 8'-6" Curtis mounted originally. Just for comparison, with the solid plate collectors bolted on, the Curtis weighed in only about 20 lbs lighter than the new Boss VXT. The weight sits a lot closer to the axle now with the Boss while travelling so I'd assume this setup is actually easier on the truck.
    You don't hear of many tranny failures anymore with the newer 3rd Gen Dodges ... there's no comparison to the older stuff. Of course, as with any truck, you can't add huge gobs of power without beefing up the stock tranny also. Common sense and maintenance will certainly help keep you rolling. I run the Smarty Jr on the Towing tune which adds about 70 hp & 125 ft lbs of torque but I don't beat on my truck ... I just use it for the extra grunt and better throttle response and have had zero powertrain problems. The only hard parts I've had to replace so far are Upper Ball Joints and Axle U-Joints and I consider this normal maintenance on a plow truck, especially carrying the extra 750 lbs the Cummins weighs over the Hemi. The front-end still feels tight and is noise free ... no squeaking, rattles or clunks and it's on its 5th plow season now. I owned basically the identical truck (an '04) except it had the Hemi and it was more nimble but not even in the same league as far as power and fuel mileage is concerned. The Cummins has MUCH more low end grunt and gets about 3 times the fuel mileage while plowing the heavy stuff and working hard. I can guarantee thr next truck I order will be another Dodge Cummins ... no doubt about it.

A couple more pics while the plow was still all new and shiny.

9. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Didn't know about that, I thought that was the purpose of the smart locks. What happens when you try?
  10. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

The smart locks keep the plow from going into an inverted(scoop) V while backdragging. Depending on how much snow is behind the blade,if you want to change the V angle while backdragging, the return springs may not have enough pressure to bring it back to a V.

Not a big deal once you get use to it.
  11. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Lost me.. can you not put the plow in a straight blade config. and angle the entire plow to one side like you would for windrowing and back drag in that config?

I thought thats what Mopard couldn't do when he said "angle the blade".
  12. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

The smartlock cylinders keep the plow locked in whatever positon you start to backdrag in, wether its straight, V'd , angled, etc.

Since the plow uses spring, not hydraulic pressure to bring it back to the folded V position, If you want to change that position while backdragging, there may be too much snow behind the wings to allow them to retract.
  13. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

That would totally be understandable..thanks!
  14. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

No problem Matt... like I said earlier, once your used to that, its not a big deal..
  15. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Awesome plow! The 9' 2" VXTs are amazing! I cannot wait to get one next year. You never realize how wide those plows are until they start doing their thing in full straight mode or when they are slightly scooped. Absolutely incredible. BTW, just took a look at the Meyer's site, and I must say, you are far better off with Boss.

As for your truck, did you take a look at all at Ford after leaving Chevy and going to Dodge?
  16. rjets00

rjets00 Member

Nice set-up, can't wait for my xt!!!
  17. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Thanks, yeah you don't see a lot of pics with the blade in straight mode so I thought I should throw one in.
    Yes I looked seriously at Ford too but after all the homework & test driving I just preferred the Dodge. It's been an awesome truck so far and the first truck that I haven't wanted to get rid of after a couple years ... turned out to be one of my better decisions.
    The 9'2" VXT is really a great match for this truck too ... even the lights match up pretty good, lol.