1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pretreat or do not pretreat with rock salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LDULIN, Jan 2, 2014.

1. LDULIN

LDULIN Junior Member

forcast calls for temps in mid teens to 20,s landlord wants pretreatment. cold blowing snow will stick to surface and freeze, causing ice rink , i think its better not to treat in these conditions, comments welcome.

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Personally, I've never pre treated with anything other than sand. I do this on a few driveways that are extremely slippery, or due to pitch, and not much room for error when it comes to clearing it out.

Interested to hear what others do as well.

3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I pre treated my accounts yesterday afternoon. Didn't feel like waiting, wanted to get goods night rest in prep for main storm tonight. They were predicting light snow 1" during day, temps low to mid 20's.Woke up to a light snow acculmulation, checked a daycare I service that's up the street, bare pavement, made me look like a genius this time! Thought I might have wasted 6 tons and 4 hrs time It all depends on temps, timing of snowfall etc.

4. misterbluesky

misterbluesky Junior Member

As long as customer will pay for it do it. This storm is perfect for keeping that ice bonding that happens when cars pack down the storm. I will be doing same around dark just before snow starts,

5. Midatlanticpowe

Midatlanticpowe Junior Member

Id rather be safe then sorry especially if your billing for it. Is there any disadvantage to pretreatment? I cant think of any maybe others will chime in

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I do on mine with steep driveways. If I don't I can not push the snow up the hill. I just use rock salt, it works for me.

7. rebert

rebert Senior Member

I always like to pre treat. Esp if its a daytime start.