1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prestone Driveway Heat?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snow4me, Oct 28, 2008.

1. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I've got a lady who wants me to use only this product on her driveway. Is there any difference between this stuff and the generic calcium chloride white pellets they sell at Farm and Fleet for like $11 per 50# bag? I'm thinking of going with this generic product and a Scotts spreader since she's only got like 50x8ft section of driveway which is hilly she wants done. She is concerned about her flowers and shrubs along the driveway that is why she uses the Prestone product. The best price I can find on the Prestone stuff is $18 per 20# bag.

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Why not just do what she wants and charge accordingly?? The first morning she sees you using something other than her choice "prestone" you might be booted or in for a whole can of worms in the spring.....

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i used to use the prestone stuff on my own dirveway when i used to just snowblow it(the beginnings lol) it does work pretty good. they used to sell it at bjs/sams clubs. and for sure homedepot has it.
    if she says thats what she wants tell her thats what she will pay for and that the other product will save her money
    good luck

4. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

just charge accordingly

5. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

Right on I'll let her know...so do you guys think calcium chloride is calcium chloride, as motor oil is motor oil? Same stuff just different package and price?

6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i would say more than likely yes but if for some reason its not and she notices then you might have an issue. either just use the prestone and charge for it or try to explain she'll save money with whatever product your using and see if you can change her mind.

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Just buy one of those canisters of the Prestone stuff and keep refilling it with the cheap stuff LOL.

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I had a customer that I used CaCl pellets on the walk and also the drive when really cold. I would buy the bucket at Sams and charge the customer accordingly but would leave it on the porch. This way they could put it down when I wasn't there and they knew I wasn't charging them for CaCl and using just salt.

Remember, even the enviromentally friendly products if over-applied or at the wrong temps will burn the plants and become slippery.

FYI, and I'm sure you realize this already, but if the person paying you to do a service requests something in particular it should never be a question of whether to do it, (unless of course its illegal/morally wrong/incorrect method for installation which will cause failure.) just do it.

9. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Prestone Driveway Heat is calcium chloride.

Just giving you the facts.

10. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Thats what I'd do 2! Keep one bucket on the truck and keep swapping out full buckets at home!

11. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

if you are not paying for it & you are making a fair wage why would you take the chances of a bad name ???