1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pressure

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by yooper.mi, Jan 5, 2006.

1. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

How much down pressure does the plow exert? Is it very noticable when applied or does it just hold the plow at set height?

thanks

2. I've been wondering the same thing. How much pressure does it exert? I'm just curious and a friend of mine wanted to know. I do know that when the blade is down and you turn the down pressure on, it is a noticeable difference.

3. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Very noticable. Lifts the truck up about 2"
    I think they claim that it makes the plow act like a 500lb plow while weighing 1/2 that.

4. Lee-Way

Lee-Way Junior Member

Lee-Way

Like Addicted said it does raise the truck at least 2 inches. It's amasing what the DP will do for you. It's sno-way or no-way.

------------------
    2004 3500 crew cab duramax
    sno-way Preditor 29 series 8'

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

?? A sno-way 28-8'3" V plow weights in poly #800lb, steel#810lb, stainless #811lb,
    A Boss 8'2" V plow steel is 860lb, so the sno-way is not that much lighter.

Does the light 7 foot sno-way need down pressure, yes!. The plow is light duty and with that comes weakness. After one year of plowing, in front of a jeep Wrangler, the sno-way was cracking around the welds of the ribs and bracing. Yes, some times with that plow the down pressure was nice to have. There plow (sno-way) is not as well built as some other plows are IMO:waving:

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

SnoWay's DP Hydraulic pressure switch is set at 525, as is the DP relief valve. This provides around 250psi on the wear edge. My 2500 Dodge rides higher with DP on then it does stock. I had one hill with a left head 90 degree turn, I would have to turn my DP off to get around the corner because of understeer.

You beat anything had enough, it breaks. They cann't be to fragile if they warranty Black Iron for 5 years

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You don't have to BEAT any sno-way to get stress cracks....
    So they have a 5 yr warranty thats good, you will need it. It is not the steel that is cracking but there welds. the plow was not bent at all but around the bracing it was cracking. If a little jeep wrangler can destroy a such a good plow they must not be that strong. IMO:waving:
    Hopefully the new ones are stronger than the ones made 10yr's a go..

8. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Well, according to them they have been making continuous improvements to the plows, so I would say that there probably is a big difference between the new ones and the old ones.
    Obviously there are two ways of looking at the continuous improvement aspect: 1) They still haven't got it right, where all the other manufacturers have a good, working product, or 2) They are constantly trying to make a better plow through engineering and innovation. (The other viewpoint would be 1) The other manufacturers have a perfectly good design, or 2) They are not willing to make changes and are using old, antiquated designs.) Don't argue the points, it's like arguing about the best motor oil or truck. It's all in your viewpoint.

As for the downpressure question, as aready mentioned it is supposed to add 250lbs. of "weight" to the blade and it maintains this by maintaining a set hydraulic pressure on the lift cylinder, so it also "floats".

9. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I like the down pressure feature as I have it on my BOSS st blade and it works great. No problems with Boss just wanted to know about sno-way down pressure, we have a new sno-way dealer around here now. I think I'll pay him a visit.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

What is it called gravity? As down pressure on a boss is news to me.
    What model do you have?
    I was just at there web site (boss) and there is no mention of down pressure for any of there plows.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  11. Brew

Brew Member

It is not the steel that is cracking but there welds.

FYI:

Sno-Way Plows FIVE YEAR STRUCTURAL LIMITED WARRANTY COVERAGE
    The Sno-Way snow plow structural elements are warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of five years from date of
    delivery from an authorized Sno-Way Dealer.

Structural elements are defined for this warranty as: Blade frames, A-frames, Swing Frames, vehicle sub frames, and structural components
    [weldments] of Sno-Way snow plows.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Thats great!!
    It's a good warranty, And hopefully you will never need to use it.

But that will not help you late on a Fri night in a Storm with a broken plow.
    Having said every thing That I have about Sno-way plows if I was going to get another one for a Jeep It would be a
    Sno-way.
    The local dealer in Dututh was no help , North-West- plow- and your only as good as you dealers. I would never buy a plow from him again. sorry...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  13. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Not sure where a 8 foot v plow came into this. I was referring to my new straight 22 series. If your experience with this bad plow was 10 years ago, it is kind of a moot point.

With engineering and CAD modeling, a plow does not need to weigh a ton to be strong as hell.

That said, if you were using a light duty sno way, (i'm guessing an St series?) for heavy duty work, than what do you expect?

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

CAD modeling is not any thing new. I used it when I went to tech school years a go.
    All modern plows made in the last 15yr probably longer, have been modeled with a CAD program.
    Snow- way plows have not changed that much in the last 10yr.

I don't know where the part about using it for heavy duty comes from? How mush damage can a Jeep wrangler dish out any way?
    I said it was to plow out small residential drives.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Car, Truck, Snowplow, Wine, computers, a good dealer makes the difference. Read the car mags. same car, same problem, the satisfaction level is entirely up to the way the dealer handled it.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway has changed incredibly in the last 4 years

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I have been turned off by them so, I kind of have a blind eye to them..
    But like I said before, If I was to put a plow on a Jeep it would be a
    Sno-way. There a good match.

18. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

From Sno-way web site...

"Sno-Way is the pioneering manufacturer of snow and ice control equipment with distribution throughout the world. Snow plow Fabrications are under ISO 9002:2000 and CE certifications using high strength steels, laser cutting and robot welding. Sno-Way leads the way in technological advances with over 20 new patents being awarded over the past 10 years with many more innovations pending"

Are the other plow makers ISO 9002:2000? Getting ISO Certification is not quick or easy. Were the older Sno-way plows made with robot welding?

19. addicted

addicted Senior Member

A wrangler, especially with the straight 6 can put out a tremendous amount of torque, especially at low speeds, where they are designed to.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Yes, they can especially the 4.0 Ho, in the yj I had.
    The jeep does not weight that much eather, so it's not like a full size truck was pushing it around eather.
    Hey, I said I would put another one on a Jeep.

I would have to Know some one with a sno-way V plow and see just how well it holds up before I would ever consider getting one for my 3/4 tons.