1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

preserving salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by weckel5984, Sep 18, 2014.

1. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

Hey guys I am looking to stock some bulk salt this year at my shop for easy access as well as in an attempt to not get reamed on salt prices at the end of the season. Currently I have mafia block bins with one having a carport on top of one for topsoil. the floors are packed gravel currently. aside from paving or pouring concrete for the floor what else should I do to keep the salt from turning into a giant rock?
  2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Tarp it. Should be fine so long as it stays dry.
  3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah even if you are keeping the rain and snow off with the carport its still absorbing moisture from the air, a tarp does help.
  4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We just tarp it. Put a tarp on bottom and one over
  5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

When I stored outside in mafia block bins I put a layer of sand on the stone to keep from spreading stone on lots! Then I decided to spend a couple hundred and paved the bins.Now I spend thousands and store inside shop.
  6. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

That should be interesting when you go in with your skid steer or whatever one uses to load. :confused:
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

It does fine. Just don't put it all the way on the ground