1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

preserving dumptrucks that salt roads

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ToolCatCruzer, Dec 15, 2009.

1. ToolCatCruzer

ToolCatCruzer Junior Member
    from Chicago

ok guys i work for a school dist. and we have 2 newish dumptrucks, an '06 F450 and a '08F350 and in the winter we use them both to salt. and after a few years of winter use the powder coat is starting to fail and the beds are starting to rust pretty good. does anyone know of any type of paint that could withstand this use. and i know everyone swears by fluid film buts its too late for that on one bed. im ok with taking them back down to bare metal but want somthing to put back on them thats worth all that effort. any help appreciated.
  2. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

It's not a paint but you might want to consider removing the box and taking them to a galvanizing co to have them blasted and dipped.
  3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

por15 costly but works well
  4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Rhino line it or Line-x them. there's a guy on here (newlookland, who is in franklin park but I'm not sure where exactly in chicago you are?)) who has done it on his 08 450 and 08 550 and has nothing but good things to say about it. Granted it won't be cheap but you only really have to do the inside of the beds. I'm sure if need be you could do the DIY (herculiner) also.
  5. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Very true,but only when you put it on concrete floors,as it's really not meant for metal at all.After I had a very bad experience with it on my one dump truck,I ran across a guy who used to work for Por 15.He told me it's nothing more than excellent concrete floor paint.I definitely believe this guy as some proof is where I spilled some 8 years ago while brushing it on my truck.My buddy's concrete floor has had shovels,brooms,washings,chemicals on it[it's a body shop] and that black por is still there.
  6. ToolCatCruzer

ToolCatCruzer Junior Member
    from Chicago

my only worry with the bedliners is that nothing would want to move when i go to dump it out.