1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prepping truck for winter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RS69, Oct 5, 2014.

1. RS69

RS69 Junior Member

All,

I just wanted to hear how others prep their truck for winter in regards for rust protection. I have a 2005 duramax I bought 4years ago. The underside looked pretty good, very little surface rust of the frame.

Right after I bought it, I undercoated the frame with POR15 and sprayed amsoil heavy duty protector into the door panels. I have sprayed the door panels with the amsoil every year since. Last week, I tried something new and cheaper. I sprayed the underside of my truck frame rails/cab corners/etc with used motor oil mixed with stp. This was sticky and I heard that others did this with good results, so I wanted to hear if the plow guys on hear do this?

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I do absolutely nothing for rust preparation.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So your just saying what you do for rust prevention. I thought it was gunna be what you do to get your trk ready for plow season

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

^^ This. :confused:

5. RS69

RS69 Junior Member

Yep, sorry checking in for rust prevention. I restore cars as a hobby and trying to extend any paint, any rust repairs as long as possible.

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Does your truck now stink like used oil? I really do not like the smell of used motor oil. I am going to try Fluid Film.

7. SnowJunki

SnowJunki Junior Member
    from Maine

Last year i did some experimenting with fluid film and waste oil. i found that fliud film lasted a month with the amount of rain and slushy snow we had here in maine in december while the oil repeled the ice and snow for much of the season. i didnt go crazy with it so it gets on everything you touch and didnt find it smelt any diffrent. i think this year i will do the same thing coat all my frames and rust prone spots. the best rust prevention you can do is just wash wash wash after everystorm. i ran my last plow truck for 5 years (it was an 04) and never had to replace any brake lines or rockers. what does that tell ya?

8. RS69

RS69 Junior Member

No oil smell, it did drip for a day or so.

9. SnowJunki

SnowJunki Junior Member
    from Maine

i would recomend a drive down a dusty road and stay off the paved driveway for a day or two.

10. SnowJunki

SnowJunki Junior Member
    from Maine

i was thinking about fluid filiming all my connections though. i had a wicked problem with my connections getting water in them and corroding. anyone else do this? i usualy use dielectric grease and it didnt work.

11. dieselss

What connectors are you talking about

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I use dielectric grease on all my plow and spreader connections.

13. SnowJunki

SnowJunki Junior Member
    from Maine

On the connections for the plow and sander i kept running into problems with water getting in and corroding the connection I scraped out the old grease and the green stuff, cleaned up re-applied dielectric grease. on all my trucks i fought this problem. the year before last i taped up my sander connection but i spaced it last year. i totally forgot to try fluid film. i was wondering if anyone else filmed there connections before or during the season.

14. dieselss

F.F. isn't going to be much better. Might want to look into water proof connectors for the Salter

15. SnowJunki

SnowJunki Junior Member
    from Maine

yeah fishers polycaster plugs are complicated i had one fail on me one night and i thought i could simply "hotwire" them together. ended up costing me $250 the next day. there's probably a forum on here on how to do it, wish i knew about this place sooner. but anyway i'm not about to cut another one. think ill tape them up this year at least for the sanders.