1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

prep to plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by edmuhlb, Sep 15, 2011.

1. edmuhlb

edmuhlb Junior Member

What do you need to do to your truck to make sure that your truck will make it thru the season . What do I tell the mechanic to look for .Where is the most wear on the truck ETC
  2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Don't tell the mechanic anything......YOU need to check the Truck out...You Need to get to know the Truck....You need to Know how to do some Basic repairs...Because,YOU will be the one at 3 in the Morning Broken down in a Snow Storm...I doubt the "Mechanic" is gonna answer his phone....:salute:
  3. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Agreed - best to know your workhorse inside and out. Best way to do this is to familiarize yourself with locations of basic parts: brakelines, steering components, alternator, waterpump, etc. Certainly check oil, tranny fluid, engine coolant every day.
  4. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Trucks- Check/top off fluids and all the other stuff the other guys said.... Also check the under carriage for cracks and stuff.. lol i usually check all plows my mechanics who are certified do all the trucks.(who WORK for me) They can also plow so its a win-win situation to have them around.

Plows-I always top off all fluids, Dielectric grease all connections at the end of the season, grease everything in and out. And never really have any problems. Stock up on Simple parts like hoses, springs, fluid, Bolts, etc Just the stuff that is Easy to fix, but would kill you if you had to wait 2-5 hours until the closest plow parts store opened.
  5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

in addition to what has been said. change your fluids,front end parts, u joints, and battery
  6. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Does your truck have dual batteries?
    Upgraded Suspension?
    Brakes Checked?
    Tires Ok?
    All Fluids Changed in truck & plow?
  7. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Before you put Dielectric grease on ALL electrical connections, a must, you need to take apart all the connections and clean them well.
    Make sure that they are all tight after you put them back together.
    Apply Di grease.