1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Premium Pay

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JWC, Jan 6, 2006.

1. JWC

JWC Junior Member
    from MA

Hi all,
    We are considering paying our snow operators a premium for working between
    7.00pm and 7.00 am.
    Our accounts are all commercial and this would be additional overhead to us but a plus to our dedicated 32 snow fighters.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

What are you paying now?

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

What are you currently paying? How much is the premium? Need more info in order to offer up an opinion.

4. JWC

JWC Junior Member
    from MA

Premiun Pay

I am thinking overtime (1.5 times their regular pay).

5. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Why would you pay more? They should be making more base pay because they are working a later shift (that's what we do), but if their normal work hours are 7pm-7am I see no reason to pay more hourly. Although after 40hrs we do pay time and a half.

6. JWC

JWC Junior Member
    from MA

It is going to take forever to change all rates just for snow and adjust them back to normal for the other work they do.
    So I thought 1.5 will make it easier even if they have less than 40 hours.

7. Big Dog D

Are you paying on the books I assume?? Again how much are you paying?

8. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

I agree we pay our workers there hourly pay and if it goes into overtime they get compensated for it .After hours we pay our guys $5.00 dollars more an hour due to that is their time and they have families and a personal life .So $5.00 to them is alot and motivates them more at 2:30am to come in . But at 7:00 am it is back to normal.they are back on regular pay till o.t.... It does not increase your over head that bad unless you have 100 employees!!!!!

9. JWC

JWC Junior Member
    from MA

Big Dog,
    You are missing the point. I am paying different rates to different people. Let's say I have an average of 26 per hour. The rate is pretty good but still the guys deserve a little extra. Does any of you pay extra for certain hours and do you incorporate these costs into your overhead?

10. JWC

JWC Junior Member
    from MA

Thank you BOSS . I think the flat 5 is a great idea.

11. Big Dog D

I don't think I was. I was trying to determine how much they are making in order to justfy your ?. I was trying to figure out how you were paying (above V.S. below the table) in order to justify the rate. If they are happy and content why give something up you may not have to? I think that I take very good care of my guys and their willingness to show up all the time and being happy doing it confirms it.

12. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Well said Big Dog

13. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

How is it a great idea? Think about it....

Someone making $13/hour and someone making $33/hr.....

who's going to appreciate the $5/hour increase more?

The guy making 13/hr is getting a 38% increase in pay, whereas the guy making 33/hr is only getting a 15% increase in pay......

Shouldn't the ratios be the same across the board?

14. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

What system do you use for payroll?

Our time clock allows us to "edit" hours and to place them in categories. I can select all employees, put in between 2am-7am and pay them more for those hours while leaving the rest the same.

Unless you have a sloppy payroll system, changing the rates for short periods of time shouldn't be a big deal.

15. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I had something like this before happen to me and the boss talked to use and one person would make out better with the over time pay then the flap rate extra and the Boss gave into the higher paid 1 person but he pissed off 3 others.
    So do what is best for most if your going to do this.

Right now I am Salery and they are taking advantage of this I work about 55 to 65 hours a week and for no more pay at all.
    IT SUKS BIG TIME.

And when I need time off I get a hard time ( 2 days in the past 9 months)