1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Premature motor failure on MM2???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by SLSNursery, Jan 11, 2007.

1. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a few of the InstaAct electric hydraulic units. One that is on a 2004 F-350 seems to have failed after only a couple of seasons in service and no snow yet this year. Basically moisture got trapped inside of the electric motor, and evidently the rust and other related debris caused the motor to fail. It was full of grit, like ground up metal and magnets when we took it apart to inspect it (now it is being rebuilt). Is this common? There was no gasket or seal of any kind, and I seem to remember there was a simple cork gasket that probably helped prevent this issue. The unit was purchased new and not taken apart since it was purchased so I'm not sure what to do differently, I guess we can take the power units off for the Spring/Summer/Fall, but that seems like a big inconvenience. I never had this trouble with the older ones, and would love to get some feedback. I did search the forum and couldn't really find a related post, so I apologize if this was addressed before.
  2. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i would say what you saw was the ground up brushes.... hopefully
  3. LON

LON Senior Member

This was covered in F.A.S.T. school at Fisher. What happened is that the plugs in the drain holes were probably never removed. I'll have to see if there was a TSB on it. Saw the same thing w/ a 4 year-old X-blade earlier this year.
  4. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Lon - that makes the most sense, let me know if you come up with a TSB and what the procedure might be to open those plugs. I appreciate the help.