1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant woman is hit and killed by NY snow plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Boomer123, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Very sad for all involved.

I know a lot use them but I hate the simple thought of skid steers and plowing. Visibility flat out sucks in them and I couldn't imagine what it'd be like when it's snowing hard. There will never be a skid steer of any kind plowing any lot that we are contracted to maintain.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That's terrible.
  4. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

It's amazing to watch how most people operate these machines. They would never drive a pickup like that and almost all the skid never have mirrors. I watched a guy running one two storms ago around my building. He was running the wheels off it and not even looking back when traveling in reverse , would you know he backed right into my car. Hopefully this story encourages people to slow down in these things. I have been guilty of jumping in my caterpillar and playing around after a storm pushing piles. I will probably think twice about running one after long hours of plowing.
  5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My first year running a skid in my fleet on lots I have ran it for 20 hrs out the 60hrs we have ran it and Backing up sucks I have mirrors Its easier to just turn around and drive back instead backing up

I found my self more alert in the skid vs the Truck
  6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I like backhoes over skids, much better visability
  7. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

We use skids a lot and yes they are bad for backing up and this story is extremely sad but skids should never just be backing up. The advantage of a skid is the ability to quickly turn and be pushing forward again. I have seen guys that plow forward then back all the way up. Seems like a waste of a machine. The way we run them is plow forward, spin, and clean up trails on the way back. All these accidents this year should just be a reminder of how careful we all need to be. Snow removal is an extremely dangerous job and we cannot be careful enough. The hours this season have been rough on all of us. Everyone needs to be reminded of safety each and every time out. If people are too tired, pull over and sleep for a while. It's not worth putting yourself and others at risk. What a shame that things like this happen.
  8. Gtep

Gtep Junior Member

This is why none of my bobcats have enclosed cabs. I have 3 bobcats at 3 different lots for the removal of snow piles. Every last one of them have back up beepers in them with safety lights running. Skid Steers dont kill people inexperienced operators in a hurry kill people.
  9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You beat me to it. I think a big problem is they rent skid steers almost everywhere because they're small, versatile and easy to use. That leads to anyone being able to get in and run it around and say 'hey look I can operate this' when the fact is they have no clue what it takes to be an operator. Most guys I've seen running skid steers are usually either in way too much of a hurry or they're the worst operators on the job site. I don't know why guys feel the need to be reckless in a piece of equipment. Sure it'll take a lot more abuse than a truck but you're going to do just as much if not more damage to whatever you hit.
  10. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

That's pretty sad. Some guys are just in a hurry.
  11. Gtep

Gtep Junior Member

I also believe that having an enclosed cab with the heat going "which is nice" is totally dangerous! You can't hear a thing. Skid steers are not D-10 dozers they are suppose to be uncomfortable and miserable. Just my 2cents worth.
  12. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

You can rent a mini loader for the same price as a skidder and be just as productive and 10x safer.

I put a guy in a regular pickup with a big back window and he's liable to hit something, why put a guy in a sherman tank with limited viewports, what's the chances he's gonna hit something?

A terrible accident that both parties will live with forever.
  13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

If anything it's a good argument for equipment operator certification. I think we all know that people are clueless as to what we are doing when we're in the equipment. It's our job to look out for them not decide whether it's dumb or not for them to be there. It is sad this child will never know their mother.
  14. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

The guy running it was a store owner, not an equipment operator, probably rented the machine and was doing his own snow removal= didn't want to pay someone with experience. As all of us know, when there are pedestrians in and around any snow removal equipment you need eyes everywhere and never count on them to give us the right of way, Never Happens !! Sad story, but this is what happens.
  15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

It's not that tough to plow snow, he's just a bad operator.
  16. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

Apparently you didnt understand my reply, read it again.
  17. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Beat me to it... Store owner renting a machine... Has a regular bucket on it, not even set up for snow
  18. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Idiot operator aside, I have never understood how people can get hit by a reversing loader.... they are LOUD, you can't miss them... I think the problem is that pedestrians 1)believe no matter what they have the right of way, and 2)believe just because they can see the machine means the machine (operator) can see them.

Self preservation instincts should trump all--blaming someone else doesn't help you if you are dead. Get your azz out of the way when a machine is coming at you, no matter what!

This seems to happen far, far too often. Sad.... but at least the child survived (so far).
  19. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Sad story for sure. But i have to ask. Was i the only one here thinking this was not true by the way they told the story, jumped around, then added another story from something else not related???
    It just kind of reminded me of one of the spoof things you read hear and there on the net. Hope its fake, i woundnt want anyone to be killed by a skid let alone a pregnant mother.