1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Preferred Snowblower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cwlo, Nov 23, 2000.

1. cwlo

cwlo Junior Member

I have had a lot of luck with Toro snowblowers, and am currently looking at a 2450GTS. However, I am wondering if anyone has compared it to the Honda 520. The Honda seems to be a little more balanced of a machine as far as "feel" and weight distribution. From the specs, The Toro seems to have slightly more power, as its a 2 cycle versus the Honda 4 cycle. I'm guessing that perhaps there isn't much difference between the two machines. Anyone?

2. CCLC

CCLC Member

I too am very satisified with my toro snowblowers. We will be getting another snowblower here shortly. It most certainly will be a toro.

3. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

This is my first year out and am having the same dilema as to which blower to get. I'm a few key strokes away from ordering one but it's a toss up between the Honda520A or the Toro CCR3650. Both machines have got good feedback out here. They both weigh in about the same,& both are about the same price. The Toro is a 6.5 hp 2 stroke, the Honda 5 hp 4 stroke. From reading past post and talking to guys in my area, they both are good reliable machines. I guess what's hanging me up here is "MORE POWER" (ARH..ARH..ARH).
    I have to make a decision here soon so any feed back on this theory would be appreciated

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Rememeber two strokes make all their power up in the rpm range, as soon as it bogs down, all your power is gone. With the four stroke, as the rpms drop the torgue goes up, and you have just as much power as at high rpms. I have had both four and two stroke single stage blowers, and the honda is way for us.
    Dino

5. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Thanks Dino,

Other than compressors, powerwashers & my lawnmower (all 4 stroke) I don't have that much experience with a 2 stroke engine. So what your telling me is that the 4 stroke will out power the 2 stroke under a load. If thats the case, it's a no brainer which unit will be on my truck.

6. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We have gone with Toros and our happy. But this year we have 2 Toro's left and going to try 1 Crapsman oh Craftsman for a try. We will keep one of our Toros as a back up. Hey it might be worth the $300.00 difference! If not we still got the Goodones.

7. plowking35

from SE CT

We have had both types of blowers, and in light snows it wont make a dif what kind you have. But in deeper snow, the rpms drop on the 2 strokes and the distance they throw the snow is greatly reduced. In the same conditions, the honda even tho bogging down a bit, will still throw the snow farther, and wont lose rpms anywhere near as fast. I also had alot of problems with moisture getting in the 2 stroke fuel systems from being on the truck all day or night with snow falling. With the honda, one pull and you are up and running.
    Dino

8. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

Two stroke vs. four stroke

Dino-

My local dealer sells Toro and Honda and said the Honda was much better because of the fuel/moisture problem you spoke of with the two stroke. He said the Honda starts on pull #1 no matter what.

Is Honda the only maker that manufactures single stage 4 stroke snowblowers? Seems Honda is really onto something with their 4 cycle products.

John

9. Samurai WeedWacker

Samurai WeedWacker Junior Member

Another advantage of Hondas single-stage snowthrowers is the speed at which the discharge chute may be turned. The Toros I've had have used a crank which is a lot slower than the handle used by Hondas.

10. plowking35

from SE CT

I havent seen any other 4 stroke single stage blowers. I did a monster 7 hp toro yesterday, but it weighed way more than I want to pick up. I hope the new 5.5 hp hondas are as good as the 6hp they replaced. I have the 621-6 hp and it is great.
    Dino

11. PHD

PHD Junior Member

What's with the puney snowblowers. 5, 6hp! wow you guys must get so frustrated. Why buy a bigger blower?

12. plowking35

from SE CT

If you do a search you will see alot of threadds about 2 satge vs single stage. the main reason I like single stage is that they are light, I can lift on and off by myself easily, and the honda has very good power to blow through the deepest snow even if it is wet. Also they are much faster than 2 stage blowers. I know you can bring ramps and the like, but I dont have room for a large blower on my truck once we load the v box spreader on, the 5 gal pails of salt, and the shovels. The single stage fits perfect right along the side of my v box. thank goodness for drop down sides. And in case we get a big strom, or heavy drofts, we have a 11hp two stage to deal with that. we have owned for 3 years and yet to use it, the small do fine by us.
    Dino

13. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Just ordered a new Honda 520, pick it up Saturday. I love new toys!!

14. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

We sold our Noma 10hp two-stage, and bought two Honda 621's for the same reasons Dino has them. We've had Honda mowers for years, and can attest to the quality of their engines.

15. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

I have an 11hp Ariens, its a bear...

16. cabrone

cabrone Junior Member

The best snow blower there is is the one I don't have to use!! But, seriously folks I am fabricating a snow blower to fit our 17hp kaws-scags for townhomes and condos. You can find these snowblowers all day long in the classifieds, its up to you kno how to fabricate them to your mowers, not to hard.

17. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I went blower pricing this morning, I can get the Honda 520 for $599 locally. Is that a decent price? I've got two sidewalk blowers right now, one is an old Snapper, it's getting creaky, seen 6 years of hard use, the other is an MTD which is junk and not dependable at all. I'm leaning real heavy towards swallowing hard and getting the Honda so I can have at least one that I know will run every time I need it.

18. cwlo

cwlo Junior Member

The Honda 520 is $599 at Home Depot. I'm guessing its probably priced like the Toro's, in that there is no, or very little pricing difference since the factory sets prices to keep the independent shops alive. I don't think you can go too wrong buying it. Also remember that its pretty common for the whole snowblower inventory to be sold out after the first snow storm.

As far as the Toro's getting water in the fuel, how does this happen? I've got a Toro, and never had a problem.

19. plowking35

from SE CT

As to whetehr or the honda is dependable. I took our two 621 blowers out of storage yesterday. Filled them up with clean fuel, put the choke on and 1 pull it started.
    Dino

20. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I use to clean air ducts and ran an 8hp. Honda on my compressor. The only time it let me down, I was doing an emergency job in a house where the heater 'puffed back" and sooted up the place. It was about 5 degrees out with a wind chill of about -15. I broke the pull cord on the first pull. I loaded back into my van, (with the heater on) fixed the cord and was back in business in about 30 minutes. Gotta love those Hondas