1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prefered brand of 72" or 78" dirt bucket?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Mark13, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking to buy a new 72" or 78" dirt bucket for my ctl. I've currently got an 80" bucket which is turning out to be a huge pita to find edges for. Very few stock an 82" edge and the ones that do have a different bolt pattern then my bucket. I've been looking at Berlon buckets which are made about an hour and a half from me and the dealer network is huge around here for them. Is there another brand I should look at which would have a more standardized size and bolt pattern for edges? Around here 75% of what I see is Berlon, the occasional FFC, Virnig, or machine branded (Case/Cat/Deere,etc) buckets. What's your guys thoughts or experiences with buckets and what to check for when buying?
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've always gone with the manufacturer buckets that way you know they'll fit properly. They're supposed to be the same but I've found a few that aren't. For instance some bobcat brand buckets will not fit a caterpillar skid steer because the mounting plate is slightly different. Never had good luck with ffc but I hear virnig makes quality stuff.
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Agree....except for the Bobcat to Cat fitment. Not to say it hasn't or dosent happen, but I have done a fair amount of this (BC to Cat & vise versa) over the last few yrs...and never had an issue..?...But fwiw, I did run 1 of my BC brand tooth buckets on a Gehl/Tak CTL a couple months ago & it barley fit. Seemed the Gehl/Tak machine side was slightly wider, and didn't fit in without a little fight.

Mark, I'd stick with OEM or go to a Berlon. Considering Berlon is local & popular should say enough. I've always heard they make good SS/CTL buckets.
  4. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I am looking for a new bucket for my TL130 too. The Berlon buckets look pretty good. Any idea on cost? Have you ever hear of Eel River steel works? They make buckets and attachments too.