1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Predictions for 04-05 season?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRIMOW525, Sep 17, 2004.

1. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Anyone have any guess's as to what kind of winter they are going to have. Here in the Mid Atlantic I've heard nothing but a bad (good for snow lovers, like me!) winter.
  2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Coffee shop guys say theres going to be a lot of snow this year. :redbounce Something to do with the last time it was this cool in August and rained like it has all summer?? :waving: Who knows?? :waving: BOAST
  3. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Ha ha I have been hearing the same thing in the suburbs of Chicago. Something to do with a cold summer means a horrible winter.

I would like to hear a scientific explanation to the "if the last season was weird the next season will be brutal" thought mentality..... :redbounce

Someone better tell me for sure I am trying to plan a 2 weeks trip around Christmas.... :help:
  4. wls

wls Senior Member

I wish for a bad winter, lots of snow :redbounce
  5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Predicting a Winter or Best Guess

I have been a pilot for 23+ years. Had many classes on weather. The following is true.

Front will move faster or slower than forecast.
    Precipitation will start before or after the time forecasted.
    You will receive more or less precipitation than forecasted.
    The winds will blow faster or slower than forecasted.

With all the meteorologists, weather measuring devices and computer model programs they can not get a 6 hour aviation forecast 100% accurate. So if they say they can predict 3 months into future well I have a hard time believing.

This forecasts you can take to the bank. You will receive the amount of snow you get when you get it. Snow fall will start when it does and will end when it does.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Johnny V, you might want to get someone to cover your accounts.

All predictions I've heard are for cold with above average snow for all regions. Farmer's Almanac predicts above average snow.
    But the most reliable are the wooly worms (those ones with the red rings). I've noticed them out in force the last couple of weeks. Definite sign of early and snowy winter. payup

Actually, I agree with SkykingHD. We'll get what we get.
  7. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

how can you plan a trip at this time of year if you plow :dizzy:
  8. liberty plowing

liberty plowing Junior Member
    from 6

I agree with the cold summer lots of rain = cold winter lots of snow. payup
    If the fall is cold and wet we will have a big snow winter :cool: :drinkup:
  9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

ask me in the spring and I can give you a acurate postcast.
    Get a weather rock. put it outside in the front yard and check it every morning.
    if it is moving == it is windy
    if it is wet == it is raining
    if it is warm == it is sunny
    if it is white == time to go to work
    if it is slipery == it is icy
    if it is gone == you are late for work

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

im on the shore of ct i we get it good like 02/03 payup :gunsfiring:
  11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I always heard that about the woolly worms. This year the ones I have been seeing have been totally black. Sign of a terrible winter......
  12. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Good or bad I don't mind as long as the "weather guessers" could do a better job. I wish I could be wrong at my job as much as they are and still get a pay check and keep the job.
  13. rainair

rainair Senior Member

winters of 77-78 in the midwest

I am trying to find out what the fall seasons of 77 and 78 were like in the Ohio area .. I can not remember... hey I was more worried about what date I got out of HS....
  14. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

January 1978 storm started on the 3rd. We had no measurable snowfall in Cincnnati area prior to that date...
  15. rainair

rainair Senior Member

I was looking for the weather like in the summer/fall... 78 the blizzard started like on the 24th... I had to go out and help deliver mail with dad ... after the Snowblower from the "USAF" made roads. the people in the city did not know what happened ... we had 9" but it blew up in the fields that had fences along the roads.
  16. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

17. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

18. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, I'm only the messenger ....... Farmers Almanac claims early heavy snow in the mid-west ( I'm in Illinois ) Nov-Dec. Then mild until March. However, the newest and most popular prediction now grabbing traction is something called the PDO. Unlike el nino it is a longer term cycle that runs 20 years and contains numerous el nino cycles. They claim we have ended a 20 year mild cycle and should now be getting into the cycle of heavyer normal winters. And if your into the wolly worms :) they are huge and harry this year by far. ( Any one got a quarter lol )
  19. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

I am not a professional like you guys. I plow about 2-3 lots of buildings that I have ownership in but also I do ALL of the maintenance on.

So I work on them when I am not at my full time job (like at night and on the weekends). So when it snows, this will be my first year plowing, I will plow before getting on the train in the morning then again when I get home from work at like 5:30pm. So I hope for no heavy daytime snow, unless it is the weekend :rolleyes: .....

Hey anyone out there around Midlothian/Tinley Park IL area that would like to set up a very unofficial 2 week contract?????????? Looking for someone to plow if it snows and work out something on the "cheap" side because as I said I only plow at the building if I am around, so not every 2 hours etc.
  20. Sumit14641

Sumit14641 Junior Member

Wolley worm

On No! say it isn't so...the Wolley Bear Festival in Vermillion, Ohio says that the Wolley worm is calling for a near normal winter. Temperatures will be normal as well as snow. Come on Lake Erie, dump some snow this year....