1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pre wetting tanks

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jay brown, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'm in need of a new 50-120 gal pre wetting tank, wedge style to fit the profile of the v box. anyone know of an outlet for these tanks?

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Check Monroe. I know they make them, not sure what size. Also Swenson maybe.

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

Jay i wish i could help with the pre-wet tanks but i have another Q'

What chemical do you use Where do you get it, i tried making my own brine which worked somewhat and i also tried to buy Calcium Chloride from the concrete plant but i think i diluted both too much because it got thick when cold it tested out o.k. with a hydrometer but did'nt work overall.

4. SnowMatt13

We produce our own salt brine as a municipality. Really isn't hard. Our first production system used garden hoses and gravity. Brivne is good until pavement temps get about 15, then you have to mix. We use it for both anti-icing and pre-wetting. There are some other muni. in this area that do blends of 2 or 3 chemicals together. One mix is 85% brince, 10% cal. chlor., and 5% beet juice.

5. powerjoke

hi i'm going to get my numbers off a little on the weight but here is how i made brine
    120gal plastic tank 800lb of cattle feed salt 120 gal hot water(deisel powered powerwasher 300degree water injected into salt at 3500psi untill disolved) the problem i had was it got thick and a 1"diaphram pump would not get it out of the tank,

why did you use 15% cal. chl. and not more is it just a cost thing, whats the beet juice for, marking?

jay what do you think about just spraying 100% cal chl in the chute directly on the salt with a electric sprayer with like a 25gal atv tank

6. SnowMatt13

Brine requires a certain concentration (23.3%). That is when it's most effective. Any less and it's too diluted. Any more and I believe that's when it gets "thick". We use 100 % brine. County Hwy. dept. uses beet juice to make it a different color than white and it helps it stick to the road longer in anti-ice applications in heavy traffic areas. Also might help it stick to the salt better too.

7. Jay brown

hey powerjoke, currently the "big spreader is set up with a 50-60 gal tank that is pumped with a bilge pump (marine style), and sprayed with 2 nozzles, outside of the v box directly to the drag chain area before it drops into the chute. however i need to replace the tank. what i will use for chemical is called Geomelt 55 and our distributor calls it 'sugar beet" or "molasis" . they sell it in the 55 gal barrels. it's the same stuff they put on our treated salt. the company is all the way up in mid Iowa. Smith fertilizer and Grain 800 828 5005 Gaylen is the contact. i can have him ship it here when they deliver at the end of OCT.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  8. winter angel

winter angel Junior Member

Hey Ohio

:angel: what equipment do you use for pr wetting agents?

9. Jay brown

not sure of your ?

10. powerjoke

me neither
    i could make something up if you want me to LOL

11. Jay brown

hey what's up powerjoke? i'll get you called this week. still been looking for a v box for you but no luck so far.

12. powerjoke

to the top

13. JUSTIMAGINE

JUSTIMAGINE Junior Member

Just Asking

Hey Snowmatt, why are you using calcium instead of mag? Mag is alot friendlier to work with and a lot less corrosive on you equiptment.

14. Jay brown

justimagine....where are you located at?

15. powerjoke

in his moms livingroom why? lol aint herd from him for a while

how ya been?

16. hoosier

hoosier Junior Member

poly tanks

Did you ever locate the tanks you were looking for? If not e-mail me.can give you some suppliers names.

17. Jay brown

yep, i did..... Swenson has some and Salt Dogg thanks... SD's kit is about $1500-$2500 depending what options you get. THANKS!!

18. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

Jay, I got to you too late. There is a company in Olathe, KS I just bought a 100 gal. saddle tank, pump 2 nozzles and an adjustable flow rate controller, installed. I think the bill will be under $1,000 (filled with 100 gallons of liquid Mag.) The name of the place is Sprayer Specialties.

Kyle.

19. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

Northerntool.com Is Where I Got My Tanks From They Actually Have A Decent Selection And Fair Prices Good Luck And Come On Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!